This Basic Biscuit Recipe is made in one bowl with only three ingredients. They’re buttery, flaky, and soft on the inside, and lightly crispy on the outside.
These Southern-style homemade buttermilk biscuits just may be the perfect biscuit!
Biscuits are a classic Southern staple for breakfast. They’re simple to make with just three ingredients but taste extraordinary.
They are excellent split and slathered with
BASIC BISCUIT RECIPE
I’ve been using this basic biscuit recipe since I was young and decided I was going to make biscuits one day when my mother wasn’t home. I didn’t have a recipe back then. I just put ingredients in the bowl until it looked like the amounts she put in there. For such I long time, I had to make them in the very same bowl every time.😋
What do I serve with Buttermilk Biscuits?
You can serve biscuits with either sweet or savory fillings. Here are a few ideas…
- White or brown gravy
- Chocolate gravy
- Blueberry Jalapeno Jam, Strawberry Jam, or any jam or jelly
- Syrup (try a good Maple Syrup)
- Cheese or pimento cheese
More recipes like this
- Bisquick Cinnamon Biscuits
- Buttered Pan Biscuits
- Blue Cheese Biscuits
- 3 Ingredient Biscuits for Two
- Homemade Sausage Cheddar Biscuits
- Cheddar Jalapeno Cornbread Biscuits
- Bacon Cheese Butter Pan Biscuits
- Frozen Buttermilk Biscuits
- Cream Cheese Buttermilk Biscuits
- Blueberry Biscuits
- Cinnamon Biscuits
- You can also find great recipes at my Recipe Box
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on the products used.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Have you tried this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5-star rating and comment.
I updated this post from an earlier version dated June 2012. I made new photos and simplified the recipe instructions.
Basic Biscuit Recipe
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- ¼ cup shortening I have to use Crisco
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- No need to cut the shortening in the flour first, I just put all the ingredients in a bowl and stir it with a large spoon.
- When all the ingredients are incorporated, pour the dough out on a floured board, knead a few times and cut into biscuits.
- Bake at 425 degrees for about 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.