Tamale Pie recipe is quick and easy to make. A spicy beef mixture with Mexican flavors sits on top of creamy grits and replicates the familiar tamale taste and texture.
I love tamales, but don’t love the all-day process of making them. This casserole recipe has all the familiar tamale flavors but is quick and easy to make. It’s also a great recipe to use up pantry staples.
I’ve seen various recipes for Tamale Pie. Some use cornbread as a base with the meat on top. As well, some recipes have the meat on the bottom with a cornbread top crust. My recipe has grits as the base. It’s topped with Mexican seasoned beef and then cheese.
This tamale casserole is good served with cilantro, sour cream, sliced avocados, and a generous squeeze of lime juice.
TIPS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- I used lean ground beef. You can substitute ground turkey or chicken. As well, you can use chorizo sausage which will be very flavorful! Furthermore, you can omit ground beef and use black beans instead.
- For even quicker cooking time and a delightful presentation, bake your pies in individual servings. Small ramekins or skillets would be great.
- You can use quick-cooking or regular grits. The only difference is the granulation. Quick-cooking grits are ground finer and cook faster. Read the package and cook according to the package directions.
CAN I FREEZE THIS TAMALE PIE CASSEROLE?
Yes! It makes an absolutely perfect dinner to freeze. I almost always double the recipe and freeze half of it.
To cook, thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Bake as directed below.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on the products used.
I updated this post from an earlier version. I made new photos and simplified the recipe instructions.
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- ½ cup grits cooked according to package instructions
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon parsley
- ½ pound ground beef
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 10 ounce can tomatoes and green chilies
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 7 ounce can corn drained
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray an 8×8 inch casserole dish with non-stick spray and spoon the cooked grits evenly into the dish.
- Cook beef and drain. Add the soy sauce, tomatoes and green chilies, tomato sauce, corn, chili powder, and cumin to the beef. Stir to combine.
- Simmer 10 minutes then spoon over grits. Top with cheese. (At this point you can refrigerate or freeze and bake later.)
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted.
You can also find great recipes at my recipe index