Tamale Pie recipe is quick and easy to make. A spicy beef mixture with Mexican flavors sits on top of creamy grits and replicates the familiar tamale taste an texture.
I love tamales, but don’t love the all-day process of making them. This casserole recipe has all the familiar tamale flavors but is quick and easy to make. It’s also a great recipe to use up pantry staples.
I’ve seen various recipes for Tamale Pie. Some use cornbread as a base with the meat on top. As well, some recipes have the meat on the bottom with a cornbread top crust. My recipe has grits as the base. It’s topped with Mexican seasoned beef then cheese.
This casserole is good served with cilantro, sour cream, sliced avocados, and a generous squeeze of lime juice.
TIPS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- I used lean ground beef. You can substitute ground turkey or chicken. As well, you can use chorizo sausage which will be very flavorful! Furthermore, you can omit the ground beef and use black beans instead.
- For even quicker cooking time and delightful presentation, bake your pies in individual servings. Small ramekins or skillets would be great.
- You can use quick-cooking or regular grits. The only difference is the granulation. Quick-cooking grits are ground finer and cook faster. Read the package and cook according to the package directions.
CAN I FREEZE THIS TAMALE PIE CASSEROLE?
Yes! It makes an absolutely perfect dinner to freeze. I almost always double the recipe and freeze half of it.
To cook, thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Bake as directed below.
While you’re here, check out these recipes
- Jalapeno Popper Breakfast Casserole
- Keto Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- Baked Crack Chicken Casserole
- Creamy Vidalia Onion Casserole
- Crock Pot Crack Chicken
- Sausage Gravy Biscuit Bubble Up Casserole
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on products used.
I updated this post from an earlier version. I made new photos and simplified the recipe instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray an 8x8 inch casserole dish with non-stick spray and spoon the cooked grits evenly into the dish.
- Simmer 10 minutes then spoon over grits. Top with cheese. (At this point you can refrigerate or freeze and bake later.)
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted.