Chicken Doritos Casserole Recipe has a creamy sauce, chicken, cheese, no ‘cream of’ soup, and topped off with crunchy, family-favorite Doritos chips!
Are you looking for a good chicken dinner recipe that your whole family will love? Often times, kids don’t like casseroles, but they do love Doritos which will typically get them to try this recipe. This recipe doesn’t have a lot of weird ingredients and vegetables in it. Basically, it’s chicken in a creamy sauce topped with cheese and Doritos. I did add corn, but you can totally leave it out.
CHICKEN DORITOS CASSEROLE RECIPE
This is my new favorite chicken casserole. If you like Chicken Spaghetti, you’ll enjoy this recipe too! It has a lovely, creamy sauce with crushed Doritos tortilla chips on top!
TIPS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- For the chicken – You can use canned chicken (although I do not prefer it), rotisserie chicken, or cook the chicken yourself.
- Cream of chicken substitute – You can make a roux with the recipe and ingredients below OR you can use one can Cream of Chicken. You could also use Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Celery.
- For the milk – You can use whole, 2%, or 1% milk. As well, you can use evaporated milk, half & half, or heavy whipping cream.
- For the Doritos – I used Doritos Nacho Cheese flavor chips. They gave this casserole an amazing flavor and great crunch. You can use flavor tortilla chips. Ruffles chips, plain or any flavor, would be good too.
- For the cheese, you can use all Pepperjack or all cheddar cheese. As well, you can substitute your favorite cheese or what you have on hand. Swiss cheese doesn’t melt smoothly so I don’t recommend it. Otherwise, Havarti, gouda, Colby, or Monterrey will all be good choices.
- For the chicken seasoning, I used Montreal Grill Mates chicken seasoning.
- For the minced garlic – I recommend fresh or jarred minced garlic in water (not dried) instead of dried garlic or garlic powder. Minced has much more flavor than dried.
- For the corn – You can use any canned corn or frozen and thawed corn. As well, you can omit the corn altogether if you prefer.
MONTREAL GRILL MATES CHICKEN SEASONING
If you can’t find the chicken seasoning that I used, you can make your own.
- 4 tsp coarse salt
- 4 tsp garlic flakes
- 2 tsp cracked pepper
- 3 tsp onion flakes
- 2 tsp parsley
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
Mix all ingredients in a bowl to combine. Store in an airtight container.
For this recipe, you will use 1/2 teaspoon of this mixture.
More chicken recipes you’ll love!
- No Peek Chicken and Rice
- Crockpot Green Chile Chicken
- Chicken Enchiladas in White Sauce
- Slow Cooker Creamy Buffalo Chicken
- Slow Cooker Zesty Italian Chicken
- Crock Pot Crack Chicken Recipe
Chicken Doritos Casserole Recipe
Cream of chicken SUBSTITUTE (use this or you can use 1 can of cream of chicken)
For the casserole
- 3 cups chicken cooked and chopped (see notes above)
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 recipe cream of chicken substitute the recipe listed above OR 1 can cream of chicken soup)
- ¼ cup green onions chopped
- 11 ounce can corn I used white shoepeg, drained
- 2 cups Pepperjack cheese shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chicken seasoning I used this (see post for substitution)
- 3 cups Doritos chips crushed
Cream of chicken SUBSTITUTE
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. When the butter is melted, reduce the heat to medium and add the flour. Whisk, stirring frequently, until the mixture is thick and foamy, about 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and milk. Bring to a gentle boil, whisking constantly, until the soup thickens. Add salt and pepper. Remove the pan from the stove. You'll use all of this in the recipe.
For the casserole
- Spray an 8x12-inch casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- If you're cooking chicken, cook, cool, and shred it. (Reserve the broth for your cream of chicken substitute.)
- Stir together sour cream, cream of chicken substitute, green onions, corn, 2 cups Pepperjack cheese, garlic, pepper, and chicken seasoning.
- Add shredded chicken and stir to combine. Pour into your prepared baking dish.
- Evenly sprinkle 1 cup cheddar cheese then the crushed Doritos over the top.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes at 350°F until hot and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.