Tater Tot Sausage Breakfast Casserole recipe that’s simple to make and can be prepared in advance for an easy, delicious breakfast, brunch, or dinner!
TATER TOT SAUSAGE BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
I love breakfast casseroles. This one is especially good because I love tater tots. I know. Generally, I eat healthily but there is something about crispy, salty tater tots that gets me.
And, tater tots combined with all my favorite breakfast foods: sausage, eggs, and cheese ….. yeah, I’ll give it five stars every time!
Here’s what you need to make this breakfast casserole.
The full recipe is at the bottom of the post along with the amounts and instructions. You can save it to your personal recipe box so that you’ll never misplace it.
- Sausage. I use mild breakfast sausage, but you can use any flavor or hot if you like.
- Tater tots. You can substitute hash browns.
- Shallots. You can omit or you can substitute yellow onion or green onions.
- Salt and pepper.
- Eggs. You can add more or less depending on how ‘eggy’ you want it.
- Cheese. Feel free to use any melty cheese. Pepper jack or Havarti is good too.
- Milk. I used whole milk but you can also use 1% or 2% milk. I haven’t tried it with cashew or almond milk.
Tips for your Tater Tot Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- First, you can add a little ground red pepper or red pepper flakes for a spicy kick.
- Green, red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, hatch chili, or jalapeno are all good additions to this casserole.
- As well, if you want to sneak a vegetable in for the family, grate one zucchini and mix it in. I would add it in step four.
- Or, you can add a cup of fresh spinach for more nutrients.
- For more flavor, you can also add garlic powder or onion powder. I don’t particularly care for these flavors for breakfast. You may want to start with 1/4 teaspoon and see how you like it.
- Finally, you can double or half this recipe depending on how many folks you want to feed.
How do I serve this tater tot casserole?
- I like to serve it with fruit. Typically, I use whatever I have on hand. If I plan ahead, I like to make this Vanilla Pudding Fruit Salad.
- As well, I like to serve it with diced avocado and tomato. Frankly, avocado and tomato are good on almost everything.
Last But Not Least…
I love hearing from you, so please leave a rating and a comment if you don’t mind. And don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and tag me with a photo when you make this recipe.
TATOR TOT SAUSAGE BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 5 cups tater tots
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons shallots minced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Spray a 9x9-inch or 12-7-inch casserole dish with non-stick spray
- Cook the sausage until done and drain the excess fat.
- Place the tater tots (they can be frozen), cooked sausage, and 1 cup cheddar in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- Transfer to your baking pan.
- You can reuse the same bowl, and whisk together the eggs, salt, pepper, shallots, and milk. Pour over the tater tots and sausage. Top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until the eggs are set.
- After putting the casserole together you can cover and store it in the fridge overnight and bake it in the morning.