This appetizer really packs a punch. Captain Rodney’s Boucan Chicken Dip is creamy, spicy, and sweet. It is pure comfort food and is ridiculously easy to make. You simply mix and bake until nice and bubbly.
CAPTAIN RODNEY’S BOUCAN CHICKEN DIP
If you’ve ever had the original Captain Rodney’s Dip, you know how utterly fantastic it is. I read that it’s the #1 dip for tailgating but I have no way to know if that’s accurate. I just know it good and every time I’ve ever made it friends rave about it. (Here’s the link that that recipe.)
I wanted to experiment and make more recipes using this glaze. (This isn’t sponsored by them. I just really, really like it.) By the way, sometimes you’ll find it as Captain Rodney’s Boucan Glaze and sometimes it’s labeled Captain Rodney’s Sweet & Spicy Glaze. I was told it’s the same and those labeled ‘sweet & spicy’ is rebranding.
WHAT IS CAPTAIN RODNEY’S BOUCAN (sweet & spicy) GLAZE?
WHERE TO BUY CAPTAIN RODNEY’S BOUCAN GLAZE?
Occasionally, I can find it at a specialty food shop. Otherwise, I order it on Amazon. A word of advice, where ever you find it, go ahead and get a few. You’ll use it during the holidays and it keeps for a long time.
WHAT DO I SERVE WITH MILLION DOLLAR DIP?
You can serve this dip with any chip or cracker. The only caveat is to use chips or crackers that are sturdy. I like tortilla chips, carrots, celery, Wheat Thins, and bagel chips.
I tweaked the original Captain Rodney’s Cheesebake slightly. I didn’t just add chicken to it. 😊 I still have bacon, crackers, and the glaze on top. After all, that’s what makes the dip so great to me.
My chicken dip is heartier and more filling. I totally want to make a sandwich with it. Actually, I did make a quesadilla and it was be-yond fantastic!!
Tips for serving
- This recipe is excellent if made ahead and chilled. The flavors will combine.
- You can make this dip ahead of time and refrigerate until you’re ready to cook it. Don’t put the crackers, bacon, or glaze on top. Cover it tightly before refrigerating.
- I really like this dip served with Frito Scoops. However, any cracker or chip would be good. It’s thick so I recommend a sturdy chip or cracker.
- Keep the leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days.
MORE TO MAKE
- French Quarter Cheese Spread
- Almond Crusted Goat Cheese
- Whipped Goat Cheese with NOLA Savory Praline Sauce
- Street Corn Dip
- Whipped Feta with Blistered Tomatoes
- 15 Goat Cheese Recipes
- 5 Minute Million Dollar Dip
- Jalapeno Feta Dip
- Chicken Enchilada Dip with Rotel
- Boshamps Feta Dip
Finally, if you make this recipe and like it, please come back and give it a 5-star review and comment. And, please, share my site with your friends.
CAPTAIN RODNEY’S BOUCAN CHICKEN DIP
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature
- ½ cup mayonnaise or sour cream
- 1 and ½ cups chicken cooked and chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded, I don't rec pre-shredded
- 2 medium green onion sliced
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup butter crackers like Ritz or Tollhouse, crushed
- ⅓ cup bacon cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup Captain Rodney's boucan glaze
- You can bake this in the oven or heat it through in the microwave. If you bake it, preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Cook and crumble the bacon. Shred the cheddar. Slice the green onion. I don't recommend pre-shredded cheese because it is coated in corn starch to prevent it from clumping together. It won't melt smoothly because of this.
- If the cream cheese is at room temperature, it's easy to mix together with a fork. If it isn't at room temperature, you may want to use a stand or hand mixer. Stir the cream cheese until it's smooth then add the mayonnaise and stir.
- Stir in the chicken, cheddar, green onions, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper,
- Pour mixture into an oven (or microwave) safe dish.
- Crush 8 to 10 butter crackers and spread over the top.
- Microwave on high for about 5 minutes or until heated through. OR Bake at 375°F for 15 to 20 minutes until heated through.
- When it's heated through, sprinkle the bacon over the top. Then pour the Captain Rodney's boucan glaze over it.
- Serve hot or room temperature with an assortment of crackers or chips. You'll need a sturdy cracker or chip. My favorite is Frito Scoops.