Rich and luscious, but prepped in just minutes this Overnight Cinnamon French Toast Recipe
will be a welcomed addition to your breakfast or brunch table.
Crunchy nuts, chewy fruit and the warm taste of cinnamon
Some people call this ‘overnight French toast’ and some people call this ‘bread pudding’. I have yet to determine the difference but since I was
cleaning out the fridge inspired and had it for breakfast, we’ll call it ‘overnight French toast’! Really, it’s just another excuse to have dessert for a meal, you know, like muffins and donuts?
I couldn’t decide what I wanted to make with some old ciabatti buns that I had, bread pudding is always a good way to use bread that’s too dry to make a sandwich. But I also had a little dried fruit and some nuts that I had already shelled and chopped so I decided to use all of it in the bread pudding. Sometimes, these type of dishes are the best, other times they turn out like this recipe!
This French Toast turned out beautifully though and is now one of my favorite recipes. It’s rich without being too rich. There’s just enough crunch from the nuts and a nice chewiness from the dried fruit. But, the biggest bonus of this recipe is there is zero morning prep! I need that at my house in the mornings!
- 6 cups bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup cinnamon chips, or 1 T ground cinnamon (leave this out and add 1 tsp vanilla if you're not a cinnamon fan.)
- ½ c each chopped pistachios, chopped pecans, dried apricots, adried cherries
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup melted butter
- Heat oven to 200 degrees. Place bread cubes on a sheet pan and bake 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix eggs, sweetened condensed milk, milk and butter together.
- Stir in pistachios, pecans, apricots and cherries.
- Stir bread into egg mixture.
- Pour bread mixture into a 8x11.5x2 inch casserole dish (preferably that has a sealable top.)
- Refrigerate overnight.
- To bake: sit casserole on the counter 15 to 30 minutes before baking.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Remove lid and bake for 25 to 25 minutes, until bubbly and browned on top.
- Serve warm.