Sausage Corn Bread Pudding is another restaurant remake that I want to share with you today.
South is a new restaurant that opened this Spring in Tupelo. It serves ‘upscale’ Southern cuisine offering an array of classic Southern dishes. It sits at a popular intersection off McCullough and Gloster streets. The owners have a very successful upscale restaurant in town. They know success lies in good food and good service. (A lot of restaurants overlook the service part!) We went the first time on Opening Day. Realizing Grand Opening can be somewhat a roll of the dice, we were pleased with the service. White tablecloths, gracious waiters, superb drinks.
My Peach Bellini was awesome. My Bread Pudding with Whisky sauce had good flavor but the cake part was dry and there wasn’t enough of the yummy whiskey sauce, which is the best part, right? (Loving desserts like I do, you know I’ll critique the desserts!) My son ordered Chicken and Waffles, the waffle was good. The chicken was wings instead of tenders. My son didn’t know chickens had bones, I wish the waiter would have suggested a chicken tender. We didn’t see that option on the menu at the time of ordering.
One dish I did enjoy at South was the Sausage Corn Bread Pudding, which was actually just a Sausage Breakfast Casserole made dinner fare with the addition of creamed corn. It was good and somewhat unusual for a side dish. I decided to try it at home. I love to take favorite restaurant dishes and remake them. I actually get endless inspiration from restaurants. Often, menus inspire a totally different dish. But, sometimes, I try to duplicate it exactly. I decided to replicate this Sausage and Corn Bread Pudding and my recipe is pretty close to what I was served at South. I hope you enjoy my recipe.
- 8 ounce loaf sourdough bread cubed
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup plus 1/2 cup cheddar shredded, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1/8 pepper ground
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 pound sausage
- 1 small can 11 ounce creamed corn
- Optional - green onion
- Dry bread cubes in oven 15 minutes on 250 degrees.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees after removing bread cubes.
- Cook sausage in skillet, stirring to crumble as it cooks. Drain.
- Mix eggs, salt, thyme, pepper, red pepper, dry mustard, and milk in a large bowl. Add bread and allow to sit five minutes.
- Stir in sausage, 1 c cheese and cream corn.
- Pour into a 1 quart casserole dish. Top with remaining 1/2 c cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees 45 to 55 minutes or until set and cheese is melted and golden.
- Allow to cool 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe from Paula @CallMePMc.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission that includes copying the ingredient list or entire recipe and posting in the comments on Pinterest for Facebook. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe.
Other restaurant remakes: