Copycat Chilis Monterey Chicken Recipe is a super easy, quick, low-carb skillet recipe that’s ready in 15 minutes from start to finish.
COPYCAT CHILIS MONTEREY CHICKEN
This chicken is juicy and flavorful. They’re cooked in a skillet and topped with barbecue sauce, Colby cheese, bacon, tomatoes, and green onions! This is a dinner recipe I make all year long.
Searing the chicken in the skillet gives it a nice flavor. However, the toppings really make this recipe stand out. It tastes just like Chili’s Monterey Chicken for a fraction of the restaurant cost.
Since taking these photos I have purchased this Lodge cast iron skillet. I love it more than my other skillets because of the dual handles. Sometimes the skillet gets so heavy when it’s full, the one-handled skillets hurt my wrists. But this one with two handles doesn’t. (Just wanted to let you know. 💖) It will make a great gift for anyone that enjoys cooking.
INGREDIENTS FOR MONTEREY CHICKEN
- Chicken breasts.
- Salt and pepper.
- Olive oil.
- Chicken stock or broth.
- Barbecue sauce.
- Colby Jack cheese.
- Green onions.
With just a few changes you can make this into a completely different flavor profile.
- Substitute fajita seasoning, queso, pico, and avocado (and omit the bacon) for Tex-Mex dinner.
- Rosemary, basil, and mozzarella will give you an Italian flair.
- Or, add olives and feta for a Mediterranean flavor profile.
What would you add to change it up?
HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THE CHICKEN IS COOKED THROUGH?
Chicken needs to be cooked to an internal temperature of 165F. Using an instant-read food thermometer to check the internal temperature of chicken is the best way to ensure perfectly cooked chicken every time.
My instant-read thermometer is one of my most used gadgets in the kitchen.
I like to cut the thick chicken breasts in half lengthwise to speed up the cooking time.
WHAT CAN I SERVE WITH COPYCAT CHILIS MONTEREY CHICKEN?
While you’re here, check out these recipes.
- Spicy Homemade Black Bean Burgers
- Fajita Seasoned Chicken Black Beans and Corn Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Slow Cooker Pinto Beans
- Black Bean Salsa
- Bacon-Wrapped Cheese-Stuffed Chicken
- Black Bean Tomato Quinoa Salad with Texas Vinaigrette
MONTEREY CHICKEN SKILLET RECIPE
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- Season the chicken with salt and black pepper as desired.
- Set a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and allow to heat through for 30 seconds.
- Then, place the chicken breasts into the skillet without overlapping.
- Brown the chicken completely on one side, about 2 to 3 minutes, prior to flipping the chicken.
- Once the chicken is turned, add the chicken stock to the skillet and cook until the chicken is done. Preheat the oven broiler.
- Spoon the barbecue sauce over the chicken and top each chicken breast with a slice of cheese.
- Place the skillet under the broiler until the cheese has melted.
- Top each chicken breast with diced tomatoes, sliced green onions, and crumbled bacon prior to serving.
- Or, 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut evenly through the thickness to make two filets
- Since taking these photos I have purchased this Lodge cast iron skillet. I love it more than my others because of the dual handles. Sometimes the skillet gets so heavy when it's full, the one-handled skillets hurt my wrists. But this one with two handles doesn't. (Just wanted to let you know. 💖) It will make a great gift for anyone that enjoys cooking.