Copycat Chilis Monterey Chicken Recipe is a super easy, quick, low-carb skillet recipe that’s ready in 15 minutes from start to finish.
COPYCAT CHILIS MONTEREY CHICKEN
This chicken is juicy and flavorful. They’re cooked in a skillet and topped with barbecue sauce, Colby cheese, bacon, tomatoes, and green onions! This is a dinner recipe I make all year long.
Searing the chicken in the skillet gives it a nice flavor. However, the toppings really make this recipe stand out. It tastes just like Chili’s Monterey Chicken for a fraction of the restaurant cost.
Since taking these photos I have purchased this Lodge cast iron skillet. I love it more than my other skillets because of the dual handles. Sometimes the skillet gets so heavy when it’s full, the one-handled skillets hurt my wrists. But this one with two handles doesn’t. (Just wanted to let you know. 💖) It will make a great gift for anyone that enjoys cooking.
INGREDIENTS FOR MONTEREY CHICKEN
- Chicken breasts.
- Salt and pepper.
- Olive oil.
- Chicken stock or broth.
- Barbecue sauce.
- Colby Jack cheese.
- Green onions.
With just a few changes you can make this into a completely different flavor profile.
- Substitute fajita seasoning, queso, pico, and avocado (and omit the bacon) for Tex-Mex dinner.
- Rosemary, basil, and mozzarella will give you an Italian flair.
- Or, add olives and feta for a Mediterranean flavor profile.
What would you add to change it up?
HOW DO I KNOW WHEN THE CHICKEN IS COOKED THROUGH?
Chicken needs to be cooked to an internal temperature of 165F. Using an instant-read food thermometer to check the internal temperature of chicken is the best way to ensure perfectly cooked chicken every time.
My instant-read thermometer is one of my most used gadgets in the kitchen.
I like to cut the thick chicken breasts in half lengthwise to speed up the cooking time.
WHAT CAN I SERVE WITH COPYCAT CHILIS MONTEREY CHICKEN?
Besides the obvious fries or baked potato, try cauliflower rice, side salad, best broccoli salad, broccoli apple salad, or black beans.
While you’re here, check out these recipes.
- Spicy Homemade Black Bean Burgers
- Fajita Seasoned Chicken Black Beans and Corn Stuffed Poblano Peppers
- Slow Cooker Pinto Beans
- Zucchini Caramelized Onion Quiche
- One Pan Zucchini Pesto Orzo Casserole
- Black Bean Salsa
- Bacon-Wrapped Cheese-Stuffed Chicken
- Black Bean Tomato Quinoa Salad with Texas Vinaigrette
Did you know you can view my Instagram feed right here on my site? View CallMePMc Instagram feed.
MONTEREY CHICKEN SKILLET RECIPE
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 6 medium chicken breasts* boneless & skinless
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 and ½ cup barbecue sauce
- 6 slices Colby jack cheese
- ½ cup bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes or plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- ¼ cup green onions sliced
- Season the chicken with salt and black pepper as desired.
- Set a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and allow to heat through for 30 seconds.
- Then, place the chicken breasts into the skillet without overlapping.
- Brown the chicken completely on one side, about 2 to 3 minutes, prior to flipping the chicken.
- Once the chicken is turned, add the chicken stock to the skillet and cook until the chicken is done. Preheat the oven broiler.
- Spoon the barbecue sauce over the chicken and top each chicken breast with a slice of cheese.
- Place the skillet under the broiler until the cheese has melted.
- Top each chicken breast with diced tomatoes, sliced green onions, and crumbled bacon prior to serving.
- Or, 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut evenly through the thickness to make two filets
- Since taking these photos I have purchased this Lodge cast iron skillet. I love it more than my others because of the dual handles. Sometimes the skillet gets so heavy when it's full, the one-handled skillets hurt my wrists. But this one with two handles doesn't. (Just wanted to let you know. 💖) It will make a great gift for anyone that enjoys cooking.
This is really easy to follow, loved this chilis monterey chicken recipe! It’s really tasty and very flavorful! Will surely have this again! Highly recommended!
Monterey. Chicken is one of my favorite easy chicken dinners. So delicious!!