This Creamsicle Protein Shake is a sweet orange smoothie that tastes like Creamsicle ice cream. Creamy and delicious, this protein-packed, nutrient-dense smoothie shake takes less than 5 minutes to make! It’s a refreshing treat any day!
This smoothie recipe is literally so creamy and dreamy it’s hard to believe that it’s also good for you! However, it is just that – healthy!
This recipe has just a handful of ingredients that you probably already have. It has almond milk, protein powder, orange juice, bananas, Greek yogurt, and ice. The one ingredient you may not have is Crush brand Orange on the go drink packet. This is an orange mix-in for water.
CREAMSICLE PROTEIN SHAKE
I actually tested this recipe several times before getting just the right amount of orange flavor. If you’re a ‘naturalist’ you may disagree with what really made this smoothie over the top! I kept trying to get a more intense orange flavor but just couldn’t get it with orange juice without compromising the texture. Crush Orange ‘on the go’ drink packets (click that link to see the product) made it the perfect Creamsicle/Push-Up Orange Sherbet flavor!
You can probably get the same flavor with orange Kool-Aid, orange Crystal Light, or Hawaiian Punch singles to go. I specifically used the Crush brand.
You do not have to add the Crush Orange. The smoothie has a nice, mild orange flavor without it. Pictured below on the left is without the Crush orange and on the right is with Crush orange. However, if you want an intense orange flavor, go for it!
TIPS FOR THE BEST CREAMSICLE PROTEIN SHAKE
- There a couple of tips for getting the best smoothie. For this particular smoothie, you must use unflavored protein powder or a very mild vanilla protein powder. (I like this Unflavored Protein Powder and I like this Vanilla Protein Powder. But the Nuzest doesn’t come in unflavored.) The protein powder can hugely affect and overpower the orange juice if it has a strong flavor, which I have found that most protein flavors do have a strong flavor. I like this Collagen Protein Powder.
- Secondly, a good blender is key! To be honest, I have never had a traditional blender that lastest very long. But, I highly recommend this NutriBullet. I’ve had it for about 4 years now and it’s as good now as when I first got it. In fact, I never use a traditional blender anymore. I use this or my food processor to blend whatever I need. Furthermore, I realize there are cheaper ‘blender bullets’ available but this is the brand I use and know it works. If you find a deal on another brand, be certain to check the watts. You’ll want one with high watts to grind ice that is in most smoothie recipes. (The NutriBullet linked above is 1000 watts.)
ABOUT THE INGREDIENTS
- Frozen bananas – My son hates bananas and he cannot taste them in this smoothie. They help make it creamy so I don’t recommend omitting them. Plus, bananas are rich in potassium and nutrients! You can buy frozen bananas now, but they’re more expensive than freezing them yourself. Read my tips on How to Freeze Bananas for Smoothies here.
- Almond milk – You can use cashew milk, regular milk, water, coconut water, or coconut milk. I prefer unsweetened almond milk.
- Greek yogurt – Adds creaminess, protein, and flavor.
- Ice – Of course, ice helps add the chilly, frothy, thick component to smoothies. You can omit if you’re adding frozen fruit. In this recipe, you’ll need to add more frozen bananas if you omit the ice.
- Protein powder – You’ll have a nutritious shake without adding protein powder so you can totally omit it. However, don’t underestimate adding protein will make the shake thicker and will keep you satisfied longer.
- Orange flavoring – It’s not completely necessary if you don’t mind a mild orange flavor. However, if you want a true Creamsicle orange sherbet flavor add it! Again, I used sugar-free Crush Orange ‘on the go’ drink packets.
While you’re here, check out these recipes
- Superfood Mermaid Blue Spirulina Smoothie Bowl
- Healthy Oatmeal Date Breakfast Cookies
- Brownie Batter Overnight Protein Oats
- Greek Yogurt Berry Parfait
- Blueberry Mango Overnight Oats
- Pineapple Cobbler Overnight Oats
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Have you tried these cookies? Please consider leaving a 5-star rating and comment.
Creamsicle Protein Shake
- Read notes above regarding the orange Crush add-in.
- In the cup of your Nutribullet (or blender), add all the ingredients.
- Pulse until smooth and creamy. Pour into glasses and serve immediately.
- You can add more almond milk if you want the smoothie thinner. Or, add more banana or yogurt if you want it creamier.