Double Chocolate Chip Waffles with Chocolate Cream are slightly crispy
on the outside with a tender inside. A double dose of chocolate makes them rich
without being over sweet.
We’re winding down another school year. I have mixed feelings about school being out. One, when will I get my nap during the day if not in carpool line? But, then no homework totally makes up for no nap. Second, or is it third, it’s seriously difficult to blog when they’re
fighting home all day, but then I really, really enjoy being with them.
As I was sitting in carpool line yesterday, besides napping, I do try to keep myself organized and plan during that time, I realized I will have sat in carpool line at this school for 5 years by the time both boys are finished! Crazy!
The boys have standardized tests the last couple of weeks. The teachers always send a note home saying, “Make sure your child gets plenty of sleep and eats a good breakfast.” Getting to bed is a chore, but I can handle the breakfast part.
I amped up the chocolate in these waffles by adding cocoa and chocolate chips. Even with all the chocolate this waffle is not overly sweet. They have a tender inside while being crispy on the outside.
I used 2 tablespoons of cornstarch in the batter, this helps the waffles crisp on the outside.
Served simply with fresh strawberries and chocolate whipped cream, these waffles were a hit. It’s practically like eating chocolate cake for breakfast, but making it in waffle form some how makes it alright.
One last thing, make these, your family will thank you!
Double Chocolate Chip Waffles with Chocolate Cream
- 1 and 1/2 cup all purpose flour How to measure flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 16 oz buttermilk room temperature
- 4 oz or about 1/2 cup chocolate chipsChocolate Cream
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 8 ounces whipped cream I did the already made kind!
- Mix your dry ingredients - flour, sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Whisk to combine.
- Pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients and stir to combine. Don't over-mix. Batter may be lumpy but that okay. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Heat waffle iron and allow batter to rest 5 minutes.
- Cook waffles according to directions on your waffle maker. For thick Belgian style waffles I cooked these waffles approximately 4 minutes 30 seconds to 5 minutes.
- When cooke through and crispy, remove to a wire rack and keep warm in a 200 degree oven until all waffles are ready.
- For the Chocolate Whipped Cream: Melt chocolate chips in the microwave, stir until smooth, allow to cool slightly. Stir chocolate into whipped cream until well incorporated. You can do this beforehand and refrigerate until waffles are ready.