Loaded Blackened Skillet Chicken is a simple and delicious dish that’s easy enough for weeknight meals yet impressive enough for a dinner party. You can have a restaurant-worthy meal on the table in less than thirty minutes with just a few key ingredients, some spices, and one pan.
Preparing a restaurant-quality meal at home can often seem daunting but it doesn’t have to be! Satisfy your craving for loaded blackened skillet chicken right now right at home!
Loaded Blackened Skillet Chicken
Bacon, cheese, blackened seasoning, and chicken… those are the delectable flavors in this easy 30 minute recipe. Everyone I’ve made this for has raved about how good it is. I like it because it a really quick main dish to put together.
Ingredients for this chicken recipe
The full recipe with ingredient amounts and instructions is at the bottom of this post. You can save a tree and save the recipe to your personal and private recipe box right here on Call Me PMc. This way you’ll never misplace it.
- Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless. You can substitute chicken thighs.
- Blackened seasoning, easy homemade recipe or store-bought. Homemade seasoning is the best. I like to make it myself so I control the salt. Not only is my blackened seasoning good on chicken, it is amazing on burgers too!
- Onion, grab a Vidalia onion if they’re available.
- Salt and pepper, if needed
- Pepperjack cheese, shredded. Or you can use cheddar, Colby cheese, or Monterrey.
- Optional, brush the cooked chicken breasts with barbecue sauce before you layer on the other ingredients. This is a great way to change it up.
- Parsley for garnish
Tools and Tips for your Loaded Chicken
- Use a skillet or oven-safe pan. It’s quicker and reguires less cleanup.
- Always, always shred cheese yourself. It’s so much better. Pre-shredded she is coated with anti-clumping ingredients that also make it not melt smoothly.
- You can also grill your chicken and saute the onions and bacon in a skillet on the grill.
- You can use any good melting cheese.
- Invest in a good meat thermometer so you won’t overcook your chicken. I recommend an instant read thermometer like this one. Chicken should be cooked to 165 degrees F. However, the temperature will rise about 5 degrees so shoot for 160 degrees and it will rise. This will ensure your chicken is tender and juicy.
- Add broccoli florets to your pan when you add the chicken and you can have a one pan meal!
- I almost always plan for leftovers. Our favorite way to eat this leftover loaded chicken is in a sandwich or on a salad. So good!
Chicken is my favorite protein to eat. It’s just so versatile. Reader favorite that you’ll enjoy Keto Cheesy Balsamic Chicken, Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts, Slow cooker Zesty Italian Chicken, and Jalapeno Cheese Grilled chicken.
Loaded Blackened Skillet Chicken
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 4 small (approx 1.5-2 pounds) chicken breasts boneless & skinless, or thighs
- 1 tablespoon blackened seasoning blackened seasoning recipe
- ½ cup onion sliced
- 8 strips bacon or real bacon bits
- ½ teaspoon salt depending on how salty the bacon is
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup pepperjack cheese shredded, can also use cheddar or Colby cheese
- fresh parsley, chopped garnish
- If your chicken breasts are even pound or cut them so that they are the same thickness. Next, season both sides of the chicken breasts with blackening seasoning.
- In an oven safe skillet, cook bacon until crispy. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Drain all but about 1 and 1/2 to 2 tbsp of the bacon grease from the skillet making sure you have enough to coat the bottom of the skillet. Reserve the rest.
- Add sliced onion, salt, and pepper. Saute onion over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until translucent. Remove to a bowl.
- Add a little more bacon grease (or olive oil if you prefer) to coat the bottom of the skillet again. Add seasoned chicken breasts and cook over medium for 8 to 9 minutes per side or until cooked through.
- Top each chicken breast with onions, bacon, and shredded cheese.
- Place under the broiler in the oven for 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Top with fresh parsley. Serve immediately.