Muddy Buddy Bars Recipe is super decadent and delicious. These dessert bars require no mixer, no baking, and a great treat even if you’re not ‘cook’. They’re also a great recipe to get children involved in making.
These are the most amazing and easy dessert bars you’ll ever make! The name is in reference to them being coated in powdered sugar like the snack mix Muddy Buddies are. Muddy Buddies are also known as Puppy Chow mix because of the similarity in looks to Puppy Chow dog food.
The secret to this recipe and no baking is that you use crushed vanilla wafers. They crushed vanilla wafers are held together with sticky sweetened condensed milk. Additionally, you can add nuts, chocolate chips, or whatever other candy you want to flavor them with.
Muddy Buddy Bars Recipe
I used vanilla wafers, but you can use graham crackers, chocolate graham crackers, or actually any cookie just be sure to use the same quantity.
As well, I used mini chocolate chips and toffee chips (you could crush a Health bar).
Also, I used almonds for my nuts. You can substitute any nut. Pecans, walnuts, or peanuts would all be delicious.
For the sweetened condensed milk, I had regular so that’s what I used. However, you can use low-fat or fat-free in this recipe. I don’t typically like the way lower-fat products in baked treats. Although, when they aren’t baked I can’t really tell a difference in taste or texture.
Finally, you can double this recipe and use a 9×13-inch baking pan.
Shop this post
While you’re here, check out these recipes
- Peppermint Truffles
- Best Dark Chocolate Truffles
- 10 Blondies that are Better than Brownies
- Applesauce Truffles
- Oatmeal Peanut Butter Balls
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on products used.
Muddy Buddy Bars Recipe
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 11 ounces vanilla wafers
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- ½ cup almonds
- ½ cup toffee chips
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- Line an 8x8-inch square baking pan or a 9x9-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with non-stick spray.
- Crush the vanilla wafers in a food processor. You want them broken up into small pieces but not into a powder. Chop almonds. It really depends on what size you like, but I like to leave them chunky for texture.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients except the powdered sugar until they're well combined. The dough will be thick.
- Dump the mixture into your prepared pan and smoosh down. Smooth the top flat.
- Chill for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Remove the bars from the refrigerator. With a sharp knife, cut into squares.
- Sift the powdered sugar into a bowl. Drop each square into the powdered sugar and cover every side with sugar.
- Serve. Store in an airtight container up to 1 week.
You can also find great recipes at my recipe index or Weekend Potluck