Homemade Pecan Pie Pound Cake Recipe is a soft, buttery pound cake recipe that’s studded with sugared pecans and caramel.
Moist, finely textured Pecan Pie Pound Cake Recipe is the combination of two favorite Southern desserts. I combined the popular flavors of the Pecan Pie with the even crumb potluck-favorite Pound Cake
A friend recently asked me if I’d ever made a Pecan Pound Cake. I thought he said Pecan Pie Pound Cake and answered ‘no’, but I was highly intrigued especially since I had just started my Pound Cake Review series.
Turns out I couldn’t find a recipe for Pecan Pie Pound Cake. I thought about it for a couple of days and how I could get Pecan Pie flavors in a dense Pound Cake.
Now you also may be asking yourself, isn’t a Pecan Pound Cake and a Pecan Pie Pound Cake the same? Well, in my mind they are not. Pecan Pound Cake would be putting pecans in a or on top of a traditional Pound Cake. What I want is the flavor, the richness, the gooey-ness of a Pecan Pie in cake form.
I achieved the flavor combination that I wanted by using brown sugar, toasted and salted pecans, and caramel both in the cake and drizzled over the cake.
PECAN PIE POUND CAKE
For my Pecan Pie Pound Cake Recipe, I used brown sugar along with granulated sugar. Brown sugar adds a deeper, richer flavor. Think about a chocolate chip cookie (minus the chocolate chips) versus a sugar cookie. Brown sugar gives chocolate chip cookies their brown color and more complex flavor whereas granulated white sugar doesn’t have that depth of flavor. There’s a huge difference in taste, right?
I also used Sugared Pecans, again to add another layer of texture and flavor. You can use salted and toasted pecans if you don’t want to make Sugared Pecans. The taste will be ever-so-slightly affected so if you have time I highly recommend making the sugared pecans.
Finally, to acquire the Pecan Pie gooey-ness, I used Caramel Bits throughout the batter. (You can also find Caramel Bits in this recipe.) Caramel Bits are chewy balls of caramel ideal for baking cakes and cookies…. or eating by the handfuls. I don’t judge!
POUND CAKE TIPS
- Read through the recipe before beginning
- Prep your ingredients. Prepare the pan and measure ingredients. Sit butter and eggs on the counter to come to room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Use real butter. I also find that name-brand ingredients make a better-tasting pound cake. Use the best vanilla you can afford always.
- Measure carefully. Extra flour or sugar can make a huge difference when baking. Read this post on how to correctly measure flour.
- After the oven comes to temperature, place the cake pan in the center of the oven. I always sit my cake pan on a cookie sheet in case the cake overflows.
- Do not open the oven door to check the cake until the very last 5 minutes. This will cause a drastic change in temperature making the cake fall.
- Test for doneness with a long, thin skewer. When it comes out clean or with dry crumbs the cake is done.
Pecan Pie Pound Cake Recipe
For the pound cake
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 1/3 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup caramel bits
- 1 cup sugared pecans chopped (See link in post)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- *Caramel Sauce see link in post
- 3/4 cup whole pecans top garnish
- Spray a tube pan with non-stick spray or spread an even coat of solid vegetable shortening then dust with flour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Add eggs to sugar mixture one at a time beating well after each addition. (Beat about 30 seconds after each addition.)
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour. (You add 1/3 of flour, 1/2 of milk, 1/2 of flour, 1/2 of milk and last 1/3 of flour.)
- Pour 1/2 batter into tube pan.
- To remaining batter add pecans and caramel bits, fold to combine.
- Pour remaining batter in tube pan.
- Bake 80 to 85 minutes at 350 degrees or until cake skewer inserted into cake comes out clean or with dry crumbs.
- Allow cake to sit in pan on a wire rack 20 minutes before inverting on a serving tray to cool completely.
- Top with Caramel Sauce and pecans.
Shared at Meal Plan Monday
If you like Pecan Pie Pound Cake Recipe, you may also like my Pound Cake series!