Good news! Scratch Made Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting with a hot pot of coffee or a cold glass of milk is the best way to start a crisp fall morning!
Not many things beat a freshly baked cinnamon roll! Scratch made carrot cake cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting is like having carrot cake for breakfast. The dough is tender and studded with freshly grated carrots. Inside this sweet roll is packed with a cinnamon, butter and pecan mixture. Cream cheese frosting tops these cinnamon rolls for one outstanding breakfast treat!
Now, on to this fabulous Scratch Made Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting made with all-purpose Martha White flour!!
I typed ‘sinnamon roll’… hahaha, which is so funny to me because they are sin-fully delicious! I know, I’m a goob!
I have been wanting to make Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls for a long time. It’s no secret that I love cinnamon rolls. I’ve made Snickers Bars Cinnamon Rolls, Twix Cinnamon Rolls, Apricot Cinnamon rolls, Bacon Cinnamon Rolls and Lemon Cinnamon Rolls on CallMePMc.com and that’s not all!
I researched different Carrot Cake Cinnamon Roll recipes and but none of them was exactly what I wanted. A lot of the recipes I found used cake mix, I didn’t want to use cake mix. A lot of the recipes had a plain dough and simply had carrot cake flavors as the filling. I didn’t want that either.
What I wanted and what I created was a from-scratch dough with carrot cake flavors. You’ll see that my Scratch Made Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting taste just like indulgent carrot cake.
Scratch Made Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting Tips
- Shred carrots very fine
- Test yeast – After 10 minutes if the yeast isn’t bubbly and foamy, toss it and get new yeast.
- I didn’t think the carrots would cook in just the time it took the cinnamon rolls to bake. Therefore, I heated them with along with the milk, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and butter to 130° F. I then add this mixture to yeast and some flour to activate the yeast. The milk mixture needs to be between 120° F and 130° F to activate the yeast.
- I find the best place to let the dough rest and rise is either in the microwave with the door closed or in the oven with the door closed and the light on.
- You’ll want to temper the eggs before adding them to the hot mixture.
- I give a lot of tips on baking cinnamon rolls in this post, you may want to review them.
When recipes call for you to temper eggs, you generally need to add a hot liquid to an egg mixture. If you just combine the two mixtures, you’ll end up with cooked eggs in your sauce. The goal here is to slowly bring up the temperature of the eggs without scrambling them.
Scratch made carrot cake cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 and 1/4 teaspoon or 1/4-ounce package active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup freshly shredded carrots
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 10 tablespoon butter at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped*
- Cream Cheese frosting
- In a medium saucepan, add shredded carrots, milk, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon salt and two tablespoons butter. Whisk. Heat to 120 -130 degrees F. Use a thermometer to check.
- Temper eggs with carrot mixture, then add mixture to flour/yeast mixture. Mix with a dough-hook on low until combined.
- Gradually add remaining flour, 1/4 cup at a time. Mix 8 minutes at medium speed. Mixture should pull away from the sides of the bowl. The mixture will be a little sticky, but not wet. Add another 1/4 cup flour if the dough is too wet.
- Allow the dough to rise about an hour or until it is doubled in size. (See notes in post regarding where to best place the dough to rise.)
- When doubled in size punch dough down and knead 8 to 10 times, adding flour as needed to keep from sticking to the surface of the bowl.. Roll into a 14x8 inch rectangle (or approximate, it doesn't have to be exact.)
- Spread remaining butter over dough. Sprinkle evenly with brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans.
- Roll up starting with the long side as tightly as possible and slice into 12 to 14 slices. Place slices cut side down in a 9x13 inch baking dish or two 8 inch pie pans. Cover and allow to rise 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350 degrees 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes, frost with cream cheese frosting.
- Serve warm.
If you like these Scratch Made Carrot Cake Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting, you’ll probably love some of my other cinnamon roll recipes! Also, try my cinnamon roll filling for toast and biscuits.