Whipped Ricotta and Blistered Tomato Bruschetta make a simple and satisfying appetizer any time of year! This is the perfect little appetizer. Char-grilled french bread topped with whipped ricotta and tomatoes makes for a delicious bite.
This looks like a high-end restaurant appetizer but it couldn’t be more simple to make!
WHIPPED RICOTTA AND BLISTERED TOMATO BRUSCHETTA
This appetizer is perfect for all year. Grape and cherry tomatoes are abundant at grocery stores all year. They bring freshness to an appetizer party or dinner that is lacking at times in the colder months.
Additionally, I never toast bread in the oven anymore because it’s so much better in a skillet. The skillet method isn’t the easiest way, but it’s much better if done correctly. Let me tell you how.
- Heat a heavy skillet or a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. If you didn’t purchase a sliced baguette, slice your loaf of bread into 1/2-inch slices.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan. Carefully place the baguette slices in the hot oil. Immediately flip the bread to coat both sides with oil.
- It’ll take 3 to 5 minutes per side to toast depending on how hot your skillet is. Watch the bread closely. It can go from toasted to burnt really quickly.
- Remove the toast from the skillet and place on a wire rack to cool.
My second favorite method for toasting bread is to grill it. Here’s how
- Heat a grill pan or grill to medium-high heat.
- Slice bread into 1/2-inch slices.
- Brush or spray both sides of bread with olive oil.
- Place bread slices on the hot grill and grill for 3-5 minutes per side or until lightly browned with grill marks.
- Remove from grill and cool on a wire rack.
If you like WHIPPED RICOTTA AND BLISTERED TOMATO BRUSCHETTA, you may also like these
- Sausage Rotel
- Whipped Feta with Blistered Tomatoes
- Chile Cheese Dip
- White Queso
- Captain Rodney’s Dip
- Green Chile Cheddar Dip
- Cheesy Sausage Dip
TOOLS NEEDED FOR WHIPPED RICOTTA AND BLISTERED TOMATO BRUSCHETTA
- Food Processor
- Serrated Bread Knife
- Large Cast Iron Skillet or Grill Pan
- Good Olive Oil
- ‘Good’ ricotta – A good ricotta should be both creamy and dense, with a fresh dairy flavor. Calabro brand ricotta cheese has one of the highest ratings. You can search here to see if it’s available in your area.
- Add a thick slice of fresh mozzarella and make a grilled cheese!
- Serve over pasta instead of bread for a meal.
- Instead of spreading on baguette slices, serve in a bowl as a dip
- Make a large presentation by adding it to a pie crust or puff pastry
Whipped Ricotta and Blistered Tomato Bruschetta
- 1 whole French baguette sliced ½ inch thick
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces ricotta
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes
- 2 medium cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium shallot minced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves chopped
For the bread
- Heat a heavy skillet or cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Slice bread into 1/2-inch slices.
- Add ¼ cup of olive oil to the pan.
- Carefully place bread slices in hot oil using tongs Immediately flip the bread to coat both sides.
- Cook for about 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Add more oil when needed.
- Watch the bread closely. They'll burn easily. Remove the toasts from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
For the tomatoes
- Add white wine vinegar and tomatoes to the pan and cook, turning every 1 minute lightly charred on all sides yet still holding their shape. Cook time should be about 3 to 4 minutes but it depends on how hot your stove is.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the thyme. Let it rest while you make the ricotta.
For the ricotta cheese
- Combine the ricotta, cream cheese, lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil, in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Put it together
- Spoon the ricotta onto each toasted baguette.
- Spoon the blistered tomatoes over the top of the ricotta.
- Serve immediately