Crisp, tender, delicious, and easy-to-make, Air Fryer Smashed Brussel Sprouts are the perfect healthy side dish. Bonus, kids love to help ‘smash’ them!
So this is my version of a Tiktok viral video for a smashed Brussels sprouts recipe – and they’re just as good as they look!
Sign up to receive an email in your inbox for each new recipe: FREE EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION
AIR FRYER SMASHED BRUSSEL SPROUTS
This Brussels sprouts recipe makes a super quick side dish or appetizer. It only takes 20 minutes to get them on the table from start to finish.
WHAT DO BRUSSELS SPROUTS GO WITH?
They really go with any main. I’m really bad about eating one thing for a meal so most often I eat just Brussels sprouts as a meal. However, I also like to serve them with this creamy Chicken Doritos Casserole, Cheesy Sour Cream Chicken, or Slow Cooker Caribbean Pot Roast.
ARE BRUSSELS SPROUTS HEALTHY?
Yes! Brussels Sprouts are low in calories and high in many nutrients including fiber, vitamin K, C, A, folate, and manganese. As well, they’re rich in antioxidants and have small amounts of vitamin B6, potassium, iron, thiamine, magnesium, and phosphorus.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED FOR THIS RECIPE
- Brussels Sprouts
- Olive Oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- If you like a little spice, you can add some chili flakes to give it a kick!
HOW TO MAKE SMASHED BRUSSELS SPROUTS
Full recipe in the recipe card below
- First, microwave the Brussels sprouts for 4 or 5 minutes until they’re soft enough to smash.
- Smash them almost flat and add them to a bowl along with oil, vinegar, parmesan, salt, and pepper.
- Toss to coat them.
- Then, add the Brussels sprouts to an air fryer to cook.
- Turn them halfway so they get crispy on both sides.
HOW TO MAKE SMASHED BRUSSELS SPROUTS IN A SKILLET OR SHEET PAN
You don’t have to have an Air Fryer to enjoy this yummy recipe. A skillet on the stovetop or sheet pan in the oven works just as well.
You still need to follow the recipe as written below through step 5. Therefore, you parboil, smash, and season just as written. When it comes to crisping and finishing the Brussels, you’ll place them (1) on a sheet pan at 425°F for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes flip and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes. I like to sprinkle a little more parmesan over them the last flip or (2) place them in a medium-hot and slightly oiled skillet for 10 to 15 minutes. Flip, sprinkle more cheese (if desired), and cook another 10 minutes.
HOW DO I STORE LEFTOVER SMASHED BRUSSELS SPROUTS
You can keep the Brussels sprout in an airtight container in a fridge for up to 4 days. Do not freeze.
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES? YOU MUST TRY THESE!
- Best of Brussels Sprouts
- Air Fryer Burrito
- Skinny Roasted Parmesan Spaghetti Squash
- Cheddar Bacon Cauliflower Casserole
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Asparagus
- Winter Harvest Pasta
Like this recipe? Pin it to your DINNER Pinterest board! Follow Call Me PMc on Pinterest.
AIR FRYER SMASHED BRUSSELS SPROUTS
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 12 ounces Brussels sprouts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To smash the Brussels Sprout, you need to microwave them.
- In a large microwave-safe dish, place the uncooked Brussels sprouts add ¼ cup of water, and cook for 4 minutes at high temperature.
- Remove for the microwave and let them cool for 5 to 10 minutes
- Place the Brussels Sprouts on a cutting board, and with the back of a small bowl, smash the Brussels. (You can also use the back of a large spoon, fork, meat mallet, or bottom of a glass.)
- Place the smashed Brussels sprouts in a large bowl, add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, grated parmesan, salt, and pepper. Mix gently until the Brussels sprouts are well coated.
- Place air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Cook for 6 minutes at 400 ˚F, flip them halfway.
- Serve immediately.