Roasted Cheesy Garlic Spaghetti Squash is combined with a few simple ingredients for a fantastic healthy side dish that goes with everything.
PIN this recipe to make later!
Uhm, why hasn’t anyone told me how good spaghetti squash is? This is totally one of those vegetables like Brussels sprouts and butternut squash that I would not have liked when I was younger, but, wow, just, wow!!! Since first testing recipes with spaghetti squash, I’ve gone back to the store and bought them multiple times now! I find myself daydreaming of what I can stuff in them!
So this was my first attempt at roasting spaghetti squash. I played it safe with cheese, cream cheese, and pesto. Flavors I knew I’d love. I found that they needed a good sprinkle of salt and pepper. As well, they took longer to roast than I anticipated. But, all is well that ends well and it ended pretty dang tasty!
Here’s what I did.
CHEESY GARLIC SPAGHETTI SQUASH
If you’re new to the spaghetti squash game, here are a few nifty facts.
It’s a winter vegetable and it really does separate into spaghetti-like strands after it’s cooked. As well, it’s naturally slightly sweet and buttery tasting without adding anything. (Literally, I’m eating this as I type and, coincidently, making a mess on my notes! It’s so worth it though.)
This vegetable is just so dang easy to cook too! Other than popping a potato or sweet potato in the microwave, spaghetti squash is one of the easiest items to cook. You can simply slice it in half, season it, and roast it in the oven.
Spaghetti squash is a low-carb alternative to actual spaghetti. It’s very versatile because it takes on whatever seasoning you add to it just like pasta.
Spaghetti squash is low in calories and carbs but high in fiber, vitamin C, manganese, and vitamin B6. As well, it’s rich in antioxidants, It also contains small amounts of thiamine, magnesium, folate, calcium, and iron.
TIPS AND MORE
First, spaghetti squash is large and cumbersome. It’s just not easy to handle but I learned a nifty trick. Microwave the squash for a few minutes in the microwave. This makes them much easier to cut in half. Also, be sure you’re using a sharp chef knife. I dull knife is much more dangerous than a sharp one. (I’m going to link some of my favorite chef knives below. They make great gifts!!)
I didn’t want to make a roux so I chose cream cheese for the creamy base. Then I shredded white cheddar, mozzarella, fontina, and parmesan.
HOW TO MAKE CHEESY GARLIC SPAGHETTI SQUASH
You can use more or less of any of these ingredients to suit your taste. As well, you can sub any of the cheese. However, I don’t recommend replacing the Parmesan. It adds so much flavor.
- Microwave the squash and cut it in half.
- Scrap the seeds out.
- Sprinkle the inside with salt and pepper. Add red pepper if you want.
- Mix the cheese, pesto, and cream cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake.
- Remove from the oven. Stir the cheese mixture into the squash.
And that’s just how easy it is!
MORE TO MAKE
- Hot Honey Brussels Sprouts
- Kentucky Bourbon Braised Brussels Sprouts
- Toasted Pecan Brie Brussels Sprout Bites
- Roasted Winter Vegetable and Pesto Quinoa Bowl
- Sheet Pan Roasted Chicken, Butternut Squash, Brussels, and Carrots
- Parmesan Roasted Cabbage with Pine Nuts
- Panko Crusted Broccoli
- No-bake Carrot Cake Bars
- Pomegranate Avocado and Pine Nut Roasted Broccoli Salad
Got any questions? I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with 5 STARS. Thanks!
Cheesy Garlic Spaghetti Squash
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup fontina shredded
- ½ cup provolone shredded
- ¼ cup mozzarella shredded
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan grated
- 2 tablespoons pesto homemade or store bought
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme
- You can use more or less of any of these ingredients to suit your taste. As well, you can sub any of the cheese. However, I don't recommend replacing the Parmesan. It adds so much flavor.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Microwave squash a few minutes in the microwave and cut in half.
- Remove the seeds and season with red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, garlic, pesto, fontina, mozzarella, provolone.
- Place the squash in a baking dish.
- Evenly divide the cheese mixture between squash. Top with parmesan and loosely cover the squash with foil.
- Bake the squash for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking the squash for another 20 to 30 minutes, depending on the size, or until the squash is tender and the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
- Mix the cheese with the squash and serve.
Also, you can also find great recipes here
Seriously SO GOOD! I have always wanted to try spaghetti squash but always intimidated by it. This recipe was so simple to follow and tasted great! I will be making it again!
Perfect cheesy deliciousness!!
Thank you so much for sharing this amazing cheesy garlic spaghetti squash recipe! Will surely have this again! It’s really easy to make and it tasted so delicious! Highly recommended!