Healthy Pre-race Muffins Recipe is so yummy. It’s hard to believe these muffins are good for you. Bake them and enjoy, then freeze the leftovers for a healthy meal on the go!
Once I decided to run another Half Marathon, I knew I had to get serious about nutrition. Afterall, as much I as say I’m 29 years old. And, as good as I feel, the truth is I’m a few years older. At 29, I could eat and drink what I wanted and it didn’t have a huge effect on my training. It (ahem) nutrition is key to get the race time I want.
These Healthy Pre-race Muffins Recipe are loaded with vitamins and nutrients. They’re delicious too! Do you know a little secret? They taste like carrot cake! Well, carrot cake without the frosting. But, they are wonderful!
Healthy Pre-race Muffins Recipe isn’t just for pre-race days. They make a deliciously filling on-the-go breakfast any day of the week! They are loaded with zucchini, carrots, and dates. As well, you can freeze them grab one on the way out the door and after your workout or mid-morning snack they’ll be thawed out and perfect.
You may also enjoy these healthy recipes
Healthy Pre-race Muffins Recipe Tips
- If you prefer you can use two cups almond meal for the all-purpose flour.
- You can add 1/2 cup of walnuts or almonds.
- Dates, raisins, dried cranberries, or dark chocolate chips can be used.
- Furthermore, I had roasted carrots leftover from dinner that I used. I pulsed those in a mini-food processor and used them in this recipe. You can use finely grated raw carrots.
- As well, I used 1/2 cup agave syrup. You can substitute maple syrup or honey.
- Amp up the protein by adding one tablespoon unflavored protein powder to the muffins.
- Finally, I used 3 tablespoons of butter (salted) and 3 tablespoon coconut oil. You can use all butter or all coconut oil. Using salted butter is a personal preference, you can use salted or unsalted.
While you’re here, check out these recipes
- Small Batch Chocolate Chip Muffin
- Healthiest Blueberry Muffins
- Bacon Chile Cornbread Muffins
- Strawberry Muffins with Almond Milk
- Baked Blueberry Oatmeal Cups (reader favorite)
Healthy Pre-race Muffins Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 3 large eggs beaten
- 1 cup zucchini grated, about 1 zucchini
- 1 cup carrots grated, roasted or raw, about 2 carrots
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil in liquid form
- 1/2 cup agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a standard-sized muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Place the oven rack in the middle position and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
- Mix until combined. The batter will be thick.
- Using a spring-release scoop, fill the cupcake liners to the top.
- Bake for 18 to 22 minutes.
- For substitutions see post above