Oven Fried Onion Rings with Copycat Outback Blooming Onion Dipping Sauce. Healthier onion rings are crispy, crunchy, and paired with an amazing spicy sauce for dunking!
Because I have a 15-pound bag of Vidalia onions to use and it’s summer and ‘skinny’ season, I decided to make Oven Fried Onion Rings for you. I have shared these similar recipes for ‘oven fried’ veggies.
- Baked Breaded Cauliflower Bites
- Panko Baked Cauliflower Bites
- Panko Crusted Broccoli
- Panko Crusted Fried Green Tomatoes
Especially relevant, even though these recipes are a healthy version, they are full of flavor and crunchy goodness. Although you save a ton of calories baking the onion rings, this Copycat Outback Blooming Onion Dipping Sauce is the original version. (You can find my Light Copycat Outback Blooming Onion Dipping Sauce here.) Take it from you, though, you do not want to skip the sauce! Whether you choose the original or the Lighter version, this dip will take your onion rings to a new level!
Copycat Outback Blooming Onion Dipping Sauce is a mayonnaise based sauce that’s full of paprika, pepper, and other seasonings. Enjoy it as a dip, but also try it on your burgers and sandwiches!
Oven Fried Onion Rings with Copycat Outback Blooming Onion Dipping Sauce makes a great appetizers or side dish. Try them with my Enchilada Burger or my Buffalo Style Chicken Burger with easy Blue Cheese Ranch Dressing. By the way, if you like Blue Cheese, the dressing in that Buffalo Chicken Burger post would also be fabulous with these Baked Onion Rings.
- OVEN FRIED ONION RINGS
- 3 large Vidalia or other sweet onion sliced
- 1 and 1/2 to 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a sheet tray with parchment paper or aluminum foil. You may need 2 sheet trays or cookie sheets.
Cut onion into slices.
Add panko to a small bowl.
Add flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and dried oregano to another small bowl and stir together.
Add 2 eggs to another small bowl and beat.
You now have 3 bowls with the flour, the egg mixture, and the panko.
I like to use a fork to pick up and transfer the onion slices. Dip each slice first in the flour, then into the egg and finally into the panko.
Place the onion slices on a sheet tray so that they're not touching.
Repeat process with all the onion slices.
Bake at 425 degrees 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, mix sauce.
Copycat Outback Blooming Onion Dipping Sauce1/2 cup mayonnaise1 tablespoon horseradish2 tablespoon ketchup2 tablespoon sour cream1/4 teaspoon lemon juice1/4 teaspoon paprika1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper1/8 teaspoon garlic powder1/4 teaspoon salt1/2 teaspoon ground black pepperMix all ingredients together. Store in refrigerator until ready to use. Recipe from Paula @CallMePMc.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission that includes copying the ingredient list or entire recipe and posting in the comments on Pinterest for Facebook. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe.
Oven Fried Onion Rings with Copycat Outback Blooming Onion Dipping Sauce
- I have use self-rising flour and all-purpose flour in this recipe and there’s no big difference so use what you have no hand.
- You’ll need three bowls, one for the flour, one for the egg, and the last one for the panko.
- I like to use a fork to transfer the onion rings from bowl to bowl but you may like doing it with your hands.
- The most important tip I can suggest is after you dip from the flour to the egg allow the excess egg to drip off before dipping the onion ring into the panko. If not, the panko will become gloopy and stick together and it will not longer stick to the onion ring. I learned the hard way on this tip.
- You can use regular panko bread crumbs or whole wheat. I used whole wheat on the batch pictured above. I can’t tell a big difference in taste between the two.
If you like this recipe, you may also like