Sun-dried Tomato and Corn Tamale Cakes, or cornbread cakes, are delicious and flavorful. They’re full of jalapenos, red peppers, and tomatoes and topped with cheese, corn, and green onions.
SUN-DRIED TOMATO AND CORN TAMALE CAKES
These cakes are kind of like a pancake and kind of like a hoecake. They’re so good!
They can be a snack, appetizer, or main dish. For an entree, they’re good topped with spicy shrimp. I like to eat them plain as a snack. They’re also good sides with chili, beef stew, and soup. I like them for breakfast with an over-easy egg and Blender Hollandaise.
Additionally, they’re so tasty topped with sour cream and bacon or any of these sauces.
Additionally, you can deep fry the mixture like a hushpuppy. However, I tried to bake them and didn’t love how they turned out. They did not have that crispy outside which is part of what I enjoy about them.
They really made a beautiful presentation and had a light, refreshing flavor.
The dough should be thick, think cookie dough thick.
I baked these, but you could fry them on the stove-top.
WHAT DO I SERVE THESE WITH?
As I mentioned earlier, they’re good with soup, chili, and stew. But, don’t stop there! They’re a good bread side so whatever you typically serve cornbread with is good. I particularly enjoy them with Healthy Slow Cooker Tex Mex Chicken Soup, Southwestern Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers, and Tex Mex Skillet Pasta since these entree recipes have Mexican and Tex-Mex flavors.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on the products used.
I updated this post from an earlier version dated April 26, 2013. I made new photos and simplified the recipe instructions.
Did you make this recipe? Please consider giving it a 5-star rating and leave a comment.
Sun-dried Tomato and Corn Tamale Cakes
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box
- 1 and ½ cups frozen corn thawed
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 Tablespoons corn meal
- ½ Tablespoons jalapenos diced, fresh or jarred
- 1 Tablespoon roasted red peppers diced
- ½ Tablespoon sundried tomatoes diced
- 1 - 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- Using a mixer, mix butter, sugar, and salt. Add corn and mix until combined. Add flour and cornmeal to butter mixture and beat until blended. Fold in jalapenos, red peppers, and tomatoes.
- Flour hands, using a small ice cream scoop (about 1/4 cup) form dough into a 2-inch patties. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. (They'll stay together if they're chilled.)
- Add 1 Tablespoon oil to a cast-iron skillet.
- When the oil is hot, place the patty in the skillet. Work in batches if necessary. don't crowd the pan. Cook until golden and crisp, about 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer patties to a paper towel lined plate until all are cooked. Serve hot.