These easy Vodka Sauce Spaghetti Squash Boats are creamy, rich, and delicious. It’s also ready in 30 minutes! This easy pasta dish is an easy weeknight dinner for the whole family to love.
This is a great recipe for meal prep. When you want a quick meal, pop it in the oven and bake. It’s an easy and healthier option than traditional alla vodka pasta.
As well, it’s great for college kids living in a small apartment with a small kitchen. This recipe takes very few tools to make.
VODKA SAUCE SPAGHETTI SQUASH BOATS
Spaghetti squash is a winter vegetable. It’s low-carb and doesn’t have a strong flavor. Therefore, you can use it much like traditional pasta and it’ll take on the flavors that you add to it.
Furthermore, spaghetti squash is low in calories and carbs but high in fiber, vitamin C, manganese, and vitamin B6. As well, it’s rich in antioxidants, It also contains small amounts of thiamine, magnesium, folate, calcium, and iron.
WHAT IS ALLA VODKA SAUCE?
Alla vodka, traditionally, is a pasta dish made with tomatoes, onions, heavy cream, vodka, and penne pasta. It became very popular in Italy and in the United States around the 1980s.
For this application, I omitted the pasta with spaghetti squash.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED FOR VODKA SAUCE SPAGHETTI SQUASH BOATS
First, once you see the ingredient list you may be intimidated to make this. Don’t be. Truly it’s quick and easy and most importantly, it’s delicious.
The full recipe with amounts and instructions is at the bottom of this post. As well, set up your recipe box for free so you will never lose this wonderful recipe.
- Spaghetti squash.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Italian seasoning
- Black pepper
- Shallot, finely chopped
- Dried sage
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- 1Tomato paste
- Basil pesto
- Heavy cream or canned coconut milk
- Salted butter
- Parmesan cheese
- Fontina cheese. Shredded
- Provolone cheese. Shredded
- Mozzarella, or creamy gouda. Shredded
- Fresh thyme.
TIPS FOR WORKING WITH SPAGHETTI SQUASH
If you’re not familiar with spaghetti squash, it can be cumbersome to work with. It’s just not easy to handle but I learned a nifty trick. Microwave the squash for a few minutes in the microwave. This makes them much easier to cut in half. Also, be sure you’re using a sharp chef knife. I dull knife is much more dangerous than a sharp one. (I’m going to link some of my favorite chef knives below. They make great gifts!!)
MORE HEALTHY TO MAKE
- Hot Honey Brussels Sprouts
- Kentucky Bourbon Braised Brussels Sprouts
- Toasted Pecan Brie Brussels Sprout Bites
- Roasted Winter Vegetable and Pesto Quinoa Bowl
- Sheet Pan Roasted Chicken, Butternut Squash, Brussels, and Carrots
- Parmesan Roasted Cabbage with Pine Nuts
- Panko Crusted Broccoli
- No-bake Carrot Cake Bars
- Pomegranate Avocado and Pine Nut Roasted Broccoli Salad
- Of course on splurge day, you’ve got to make my favorite Pound Cake.
Have you tried this recipe? Please consider leaving a 5 rating and comment. Your 5-star rating helps others find our recipe when they do a Google search.
VODKA SAUCE SPAGHETTI SQUASH BOATS
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 1 medium spaghetti squash halved and seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ⅛ teaspoon salt plus more if needed
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper plus more if needed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium shallot finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon dried sage
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes more or less to preference
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon vodka or chicken broth
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoon basil pesto
- ½ cup heavy cream or canned coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon butter salted
- ½ cup fontina cheese shredded
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese grated
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 tablespoon blue cheese or goat cheese or feta
- Microwave the spaghetti squash for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove it from the microwave, cut in half, and scoop the seeds out with a spoon.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F. Place the squash in a baking dish and rub the inside of the squash with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While it baking, make the sauce. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the shallot, garlic, red pepper flakes, and sage. Cook until the shallots begin to caramelize, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the tomato paste. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the water and vodka and cook another 2 minutes. Stir the pesto and the cream. Season with a pinch more salt and pepper, if needed.
- Remove the squash from the oven and sprinkle each with fontina cheese. Divide the sauce between the squash. Top with parmesan, cheddar, and blue cheese.
- Bake the squash for another 15-20 minutes or until the squash is tender and the cheese is golden brown on top. Allow the squash to cool for about 5 minutes before serving Enjoy.
Leave a Reply