Easy to make Slow Cooker Tomato Meat Sauce is an easy 2 step process and requires little hands-on time!
We recently had guests for a week that ended in an Engagement party and a tailgating football event the next day. Although I love entertaining
enough is enough it can be a lot of work. After that week, I wanted easy food that I could throw together while I get my life house back in order.
I like to keep this meat sauce cooked and ready in the refrigerator. It’s great for spaghetti, calzones, lasagna, pizza and dipping breadsticks. I like to add the beef and let it cook in the slow cooker, but you can leave the meat out especially if you don’t have immediate plans to use this tomato sauce.
Homemade Gift Ideas
Slow Cooker Tomato Meat Sauce is also great as a gift for teachers, neighbors, party hosts, or just a little happy for a friend. When I package it for gifts, I do not add the meat. Just follow the instructions omitting the beef. Saute the onions in 2 T vegetable oil instead of the beef drippings. Put the tomato sauce in a quart or pint jar, tie pretty raffia around it. The sauce makes a great gift all by itself or package it with pasta, a small basil plant, garlic bulbs, and your favorite spaghetti or lasagna recipe!
While you’re here, check out these recipes
- Sand Art Brownies
- Strawberry Balsamic Jam
- Peanut Butter Bread Bananas Foster
- Peach Cobbler Bread Pudding
- 10 Ridiculously Delicious Pound Cake recipes
Slow Cooker Tomato Meat Sauce
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef omit if making sauce for a gift
- 2 (28 oz cans) tomatoes crushed
- 1 medium onion approx 1 cup
- 1 Tablespoon crushed garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 bay leaves fresh
- 1 Tablespoon sundried tomatoes chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper
- Turn slow cooker on 250 degrees.
- I rough chopped my onion because I was trying to see how fast I could get all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Chop them small if you prefer.
- Cook onion and ground beef in a skillet on medium high heat until no longer pink. I didn't have to drain any fat off since my meat was lean.
- While onions and beef are cooking, add remaining ingredients to slow cooker - tomatoes, garlic, oregano, bay leaves, sundried tomatoes, salt, pepper, red pepper, and roasted red pepper.
- Add beef and onions and stir. Place lid on and allow to cook on 200-250 degrees for 4 hours.
- Remove bay leaves and use in recipe of your choice
(Mason Jar Gifts)