Best 7up Pound Cake Recipe is velvety soft, sweet, and bursting with a lemon-lime flavor. This pound cake is is full of butter and lemon and seriously incredible.
It’s been a while since I’ve added to my Pound Cake Review Series. Surprisingly, I had never made 7up Pound Cake before I tested this one.
BEST 7up POUND CAKE RECIPE TIPS
As with any recipe, read the ingredients and instructions through completely before starting. Make sure you have all the ingredients on hand, that the ingredients that need to be at room temperature are at room temperature, and that you have the correct equipment.
- First, this is one of the few pound cakes in which I use cake flour.
- Do not use margarine. Use real butter, unsalted.
- I wrote a very detailed post on How to Bake the Perfect Pound Cake. I recommend you hop over and read it.
- For best flavor use pure lemon extract, not imitation.
- Additionally, I recommend calibrating your oven once a year. Read How to Calibrate your Oven here.
- You can use any clear lemon/lime soda 7up, Sprite, Mello Yello, or Mountain Dew. Since these sodas have a citrus base, I add lemon and vanilla extract.
- Finally, you can make this pound cake in a 9×13-inch baking pan. Read this post for details: Sheet Pan Pound Cake.
BEST 7up POUND CAKE RECIPE DETAIL MATTERS
I sit my pound cakes on a cookie sheet to bake to catch any leaks. Furthermore, sitting the pan on a cookie sheet may affect the baking time. As well, using a light versus a dark tube pan will affect baking times. For my cakes, I bake in a light pan on a round cookie sheet.
I’m not a fan of non-stick spray for pound cakes. Some of the sides always stick pulling off that crust that I worked so hard to create. Instead, I like to use solid vegetable shortening and follow that with a dusting of granulated sugar. (Yes, sugar. Sugar doesn’t leave any white areas on the cake.) Alternately, I like the Wilton cake release. (When I started this pound cake series, I did use non-stick spray. However, after making so many and trying other methods, I do not use non-stick spray for cakes now. I have tried to go back and update those posts, but may have missed some.)
HOW DO YOU STORE LEFTOVER POUND CAKE
I recommend storing leftover pound cake either on the counter at room temperature or in the refrigerator in an airtight container. Furthermore, it will last anywhere from 3 to 4 days at room temperature or 5 to 7 days in the refrigerator.
CAN I FREEZE POUND CAKE?
Pound cakes freeze beautifully. Wrap it up tightly with aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap and store it in the freezer for 4 to 6 months.
HERE ARE SOME OF MY POPULAR POUND CAKE RECIPES
- Fig Preserve Pound Cake
- Old School Southern Butter Pound Cake
- Key Lime Marbled Pound Cake
- Old Fashioned Blue Ribbon Pound Cake
- Strawberry & Cream Pound Cake
- Amaretto Peach Upside Down Pound Cake
- Fresh Strawberry Pound Cake
- Butterbeer Pound Cake
- Tiramisu Pound Cake
- Orange Creamsicle Pound Cake
- Citrus Pound Cake
- Woodford Reserve Bourbon Cake
- Fig Preserve Pound Cake
- Hummingbird Cake Pound Cake
If you make this recipe be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a 5-star rating! I love to hear from you.
Best 7up Pound Cake Recipe
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- Please read post above for substitutions and tips.
- Preheat oven to 325° F. (If you haven't calibrated your oven recently, I recommend you calibrate your oven once a year. For info read: How to Calibrate your Oven.)
- Add eggs, one at a time, mix until all eggs and flours are combined. Stop mixer and scrape sides. Mix again.
- Combine the flour and salt. Combine the 7up and heavy whipping cream
- Add the flour mixture alternately with the 7up mixture beginning and ending with flour. Stop the mixer and scrape sides and bottom, beat again until just combined.
- Transfer batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour 20 to 30 minutes or until a tester comes out clean or with dry crumbs. (The internal temperature of the cake will be 200°F when fully cooked.)
- Allow cake to cool on a wire rack for 15 to 20 minutes before inverting on a tray to cool completely. Wait until the cake is completely cool before frosting or glazing. (I did not glaze this cake.)
- Store in an airtight cake taker either on the counter or in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh on the counter for 3 to 4 days and in the refrigerator for 5 to 7 days. See notes above for freezing.