Better Chicken Piccata Recipe is a simple and elegant dish of pan-fried chicken fillets in a rich lemon and caper sauce. Bright and lemony with salty bursts from capers, chicken piccata is a delicious one-pan, less than 30-minute, keto meal!
BETTER CHICKEN PICCATA RECIPE
Chicken Piccata is a recipe for chicken. The chicken is coated with flour, browned in a pan, then served in a sauce containing lemon juice,
INGREDIENTS FOR YOUR LEMONY CHICKEN PICCATA
Full recipe with ingredient amounts and instructions for cooking is at the bottom of this post.
- Chicken breasts. You can use chicken tenders but the cooking time will vary. As well, you can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- Salt and pepper.
- Lemon pepper.
- Garlic powder. Or, you can substitute with onion powder.
- All-purpose flour.
- Olive oil.
- Butter. You may use salted or unsalted. As well, you can sub ghee, vegan
butter, or olive oil.
- Chicken stock. As well, you can use white wine. (more below)
- Lemon. You’ll need both the lemon zest and juice from one lemon.
CAN I USE ANOTHER PROTEIN?
Yes, absolutely. Veal was originally used for piccata so it would be a great choice. Also, try boneless pork chops or white fish like mahi-mahi or red snapper.
WHAT ARE CAPERS?
Capers come from a prickly bush called capparis spinosa, or Flinders rose, that grows wild across the Mediterranean and parts of Asia. It a perennial plant that bears rounded, fleshy leaves and large white to pinkish-white flowers
DO CAPERS ADD FLAVOR?
Yes. Capers are brined and packed in salt to store them. Naturally, this gives them a salty flavor. As well, they have a floral and tangy flavor. Some say they taste like green olives.
WHAT WINE IS GOOD IN BETTER CHICKEN PICCATA?
Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, and Pinot Blanc have medium acid levels that pair well with chicken,
As well, you can add a dry white wine and still maintain a low-carb entree. In fact, dryness is key to a good keto wine.
Best Keto-Friendly Wines
TIPS FOR YOUR CHICKEN
Option one, if your chicken breasts aren’t the same size place them on a cutting board, cover them with a plastic wrap, and pound them to the same thickness.
Another option, instead of pounding them, you can cut them the same thickness. (You can use all the chicken in your recipe or save the smaller pieces for something else. Place them in an airtight container and add a favorite vinaigrette or marinade. Allow them to marinate overnight. Then, cook them for a quick meal on a salad or wrap.)
CAN I COOK BETTER CHICKEN PICCATA IN AN AIR FRYER?
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BETTER CHICKEN PICCATA
Chicken piccata is a perfect match with rice, pasta, or gnocchi. If you plan to serve it with one of these double the sauce so you’ll have extra to coat the noodles.
Of course, store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
WANT MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES?
- Creamy Baked Spinach Chicken
- Crock Pot Mississippi Chicken
- Creamy Stuffed Chipotle Chicken
- One Pan Keto Pesto Chicken
- Creamy White Wine Chicken
- Skillet Coconut Lime Chicken
- Chicken Dip
- Easy Baked Cheesy Chicken
BETTER CHICKEN PICCATA RECIPE
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 1 and ½ pounds chicken breasts boneless, skinless (approx 3 breasts)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅓ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons capers drained and divided
- 3 tablespoons butter salted or unsalted
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 medium lemon zested and juiced (need 3T juice & 1T zest)
- Place the chicken breasts on a plate, in this case, I used a 9 by 9 pan. Keep the mess in one place. Using 2 forks, poke each breast 4 to 5 times. If your breasts are not the same thickness, look into the notes for my quick fix.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper, lemon pepper, and garlic powder, on both sides. Take the flour and sprinkle over the chicken, to coat. Flip the chicken and coat the other side with flour as well. If you don’t want to sprinkle the flour into the pan or plate, you can use a bowl, big enough to put the chicken breast in it, and drench it with flour on both sides.
- Heat a pan, I used a 12-inch pan, over medium heat. Pour olive oil, once the oil is hot enough, you will see a light shimmer, place the chicken breasts in the pan. Cook the chicken for 6 minutes on one side and 3 minutes on the other, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F
- Remove the chicken from the pan and place it on a plate. Set aside.
- Still on medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of capers, with a fork, smash them, and heat for 20 seconds. Add the butter and melt completely, stirring Once the butter is completely melted add the capers, chicken stock, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
- Mix well making sure you are releasing all the crumbs on the side and in the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place the chicken back in the pan for 2 to 3 minutes until it is heated through. Remove from the pan and serve and enjoy.