Pour a little holiday cheer this year with my Pomegranate Old Fashioned. This is a seasonal twist on a classic cocktail. It’s easy to make, tart, and a delicious sipping drink for the holidays.
An Old Fashioned is one of the six classic cocktails that every good bartender knows how to make expertly. According to “Cocktail Codex“, master these core cocktails and you’ll be able to create innumerable variations.
The six classic cocktails are the Old Fashioned, Martini, Daiquiri, Sidecar, Whiskey Old Fashioned, and Flip. In each drink, every ingredient falls into at least one category. First, core is the primary flavor. Then, balance enhances the core with sweetness, acidity, or both. Finally, seasoning adds another dimension and complements or contrasts with the core. (source)
POMEGRANATE OLD FASHIONED
To make a classic Old Fashioned cocktail, you’ll muddle sugar with bitters and water then add whiskey. Next, garnish it simply with an orange slice and a cocktail cherry. Serve it traditionally in an old-fashioned glass. As well, this recipe has been recorded as far back as the 1800s.
Obviously, for my Pomegranate Old Fashioned, I added pomegranate juice. It really is so good!
Pomegranate is tart so mixing it with a little sugar and bourbon makes a delicious combination! As well, I recommend getting pure pomegranate juice, not a juice cocktail that’s mostly not pomegranate.
YOU’LL ENJOY THESE COCKTAILS TOO!
- Festive Christmas Margarita
- Dill Pickle Martini
- Blackberry Lemonade Margarita Smash
- Pineapple Margarita
- Damn Good Sunset Margarita Cocktail
- Skinny Margarita
- Bikini Martini
- Rudolph’s Tipsy Punch
- Fizzy Bourbon Lemonade
- Raspberry Peach Bourbon Smash
- 2 Ingredient Peppermint Snowflake Cocktail
STOCK THE BAR
- Old Fashioned Whiskey Glass
- Bullet Glass (best ever!)
- Elite Cocktail Shaker Set
- Ice Cube Molds
- Classic cocktail rimmers
- Completely obsessed with these glasses and these!
- Rapid Beverage Chiller
FAVORITE BOURBONS FOR POMEGRANATE OLD FASHIONED
- Woodford Reserve
- Makers Mark
- Buffalo Trace
- Knob Creek
Finally, please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary based on the products used.
POMEGRANATE OLD FASHIONED
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 2 tablespoons fresh pomegranate seeds plus more for garnish
- ½ teaspoons coconut sugar or granulated sugar
- 2-3 dashes orange bitters
- 2 ounces pomegranate juice
- 2 ounces Bourbon see post for recommendations
- orange slice and pomegranate seeds for garnish
- Muddle the pomegranate seeds with the sugar and bitters in the bottom of a cocktail shaker.
- Add the bourbon, juice, and ice to the shaker.
- Shake well and strain into a glass with ice.
- Garnish with an orange slice and pomegranate seeds
Great holiday cocktail! I love pomegranate juice.
Thank you so much for sharing this amazing pomegranate old fashioned recipe! Will surely have this again! It’s really easy to make and it tasted so delicious! Highly recommended!
MMMMMM this was just the drink recipe I was looking for!
When do you add the pomegranate juice?
Ugh so sorry! Add it when you add the bourbon. I updated the recipe. Thank you!