This delicate Totally Scratch-made Rum Pound Cake with Rum Glaze is incredibly moist, fragrant, and good for any season. It transports well and is full of booze which makes it perfect for any holiday or potluck gathering.
I have many Pound Cake recipes in my repertoire. I have Whipping Cream Pound Cake Recipe, Cream Cheese Pound Cake, Sour Cream Pound Cake, Greek Yogurt Pound Cake, Chocolate Pound Cake, Blue Ribbon Pound Cake and the list goes on and on. As I’ve stated before, desserts, in particular, Pound Cake are my most favorite thing to make.
I used buttermilk (along with rum) as the liquid in this recipe. Buttermilk is amazing in cakes, muffins, rolls, and pancakes. It makes the baked good soft, springy, and tender while the texture has the perfect density and fluffiness. Buttermilk is unparalleled to any other dairy in cakes.
Buttermilk owes its success as a baking ingredient to its acidity. A slightly acidic batter helps keep baked goods moist and tender by breaking down long, tough strands of gluten. And the acid is responsible for buttermilk’s thick consistency, which adds a soft, rich, creamy quality to whatever you’re baking. Source
As far as flavor, The tartness of buttermilk adds a pleasing, subtle tang to cakes and other baked goods.
I wrote the recipe in the recipe section below as clearly and descriptively as possible. Before making this Totally Scratch-made Rum Pound Cake with Rum Glaze recipe, read it over at least twice so you know where you’re going and what’s next.
Totally Scratch-made Rum Pound Cake with Rum Glaze
- Read the recipe through completely at least twice so you know what comes next.
- A stand mixer will make your life immensely easier. I can’t imagine all this mixing by hand or even with a hand mixer!
- You can use a bundt pan. I used this tube pan. A good rule of thumb when baking pound cakes is to always leave 2 inches from the batter to the top of the pan to allow for rise. As well, always place your baking pan on a cookie sheet to catch any overflows.
- Allow your eggs, butter, and dairy to come to room temperature before mixing.
- I always use salted real butter in my pounds cakes. It’s a personal preference. You can use either salted or unsalted butter. I do recommend using real butter not margarine.
- Use real butter. No substitutions.
- I recommend calibrating your oven at least once a year. Read all about how to Calibrate your oven in this post.
Totally Scratch-made Rum Pound Cake with Rum Glaze is incredibly delicate, moist, fragrant, and good for any season. It transports well and is full of boozy goodness. It's perfect for any holiday or potluck gathering.
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup rum
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup rum
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Grease a 10-inch tube or bundt pan with solid vegetable shortening and sugar (or flour if you prefer)
In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter and sugar until well mixed, light, and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, mixing until the yellow disappears before adding the next egg.
Combine flour, baking powder, and salt
To the creamed mixture, add flour alternately with buttermilk and rum, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Don't over mix at this point.
Spoon into prepared pan
Bake 80 minutes at 325 degrees F
Cool in the pan 20 minutes before inverting onto a serving tray.
While cake is warm pour rum glaze over cake and allow to soak into the cake.Rum Glaze
*Make rum sauce
Stir in water and sugar
Boil for 5 minutes stirring constantly
Remove from heat and stir in rum
Recipe from Paula @CallMePMc.com All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission that includes copying the ingredient list or entire recipe and posting in the comments on Pinterest for Facebook. If you want to share this recipe, please simply link back to this post for the recipe.
Thank you, Paula
As a busy mom, Paula saw the need to simplify cooking and meal prep without sacrificing flavor. She provides simple recipes and time-saving strategies for delicious and nutritious meals for your family. Please share CallMePMc.com with your friends.