Homemade Sour Cream Cinnamon Roll Pound Cake Recipe with Cream Cheese Frosting, laced with a cinnamon swirl, this cake is buttery, yet light and is smothered in sweet cream cheese frosting.
I’m kind of in love with this cake! Cinnamon Rolls are my most favorite food ever. I’ve been wanting to make a Pound Cake inspired by cinnamon rolls for a long time. Unfortunately, I’m just getting to it.
I so wish I hadn’t waited so long!
Because of the cinnamon ribbon running throughout, this cake reminds me of the Sock It to Me Cake that my Grandmother used to make. Do you remember that cake? While it was good, it doesn’t compare to the deliciousness of this recipe.
This pound cake is soft, dense, and moist much like my 2 Step Fresh Peach Pound Cake and Amaretto Pound Cake.
Homemade Sour Cream Cinnamon Roll Pound Cake Recipe with Cream Cheese Frosting has a mild cinnamon flavor. I was careful not to overpower the cake with a strong cinnamon flavor. The result, I think, is the perfect blend of cinnamon roll and traditional pound cake flavor.
Homemade Sour Cream Cinnamon Roll Pound Cake Recipe with Cream Cheese Frosting Tips
- First of all, I use a 10-inch round by 4 inch deep tube pan to bake my pound cakes. I find cakes easier to remove using a tube pan versus a bundt pan.
- When it comes to measuring flour, a cup is not always a cup. Please read this post on how to correctly measure flour.
- Next, cream the butter and sugar until it’s light and fluffy. The color will actually change to a very pale yellow.
- Also, add the eggs one at a time. Allow the mixer to swirl the egg into the batter until most of it is incorporated before you add the next egg.
- I use this basic Cream Cheese Frosting recipe adding 2 more tablespoons of milk to make it thinner. I place half of the frosting in a freezer zip-top bag and snip the corner off and drizzle the frosting over the cake. (I refrigerate the remaining frosting for Cinnamon Roll Cupcakes. You can also half the frosting recipe for no left-overs.)
- Finally, allow the cake to cool at least 20 minutes in the pan before inverting it onto a platter. I love a pound cake that still warm so serve it warm if you like. It will take this dense cake a couple of hours to cool completely. You’ll want to make sure it’s completely cool before covering it.
Sour Cream Cinnamon Roll Pound Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 1 and ½ cups butter
- 2 and ½ cups granulated sugar
- 7 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup butter at room temperature
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- *solid vegetable shortening and granulated sugar for pan
- Prepare a 12 cup tube pan with solid vegetable shortening. Spread evenly over the entire inner surface. sprinkle 1 to 2 teaspoon granulated sugar over shortening and roll pan so that sugar covers the entire surface. Discard excess.
- In the bowl of a mixer add butter. beat until fluffy.
- Add sugar and beat until fluffy and light yellow.
- Add eggs one at a time until just combined.
- Add vanilla.
- In another bowl, sift flour with salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- On low speed, add flour to sugar mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour. Do not mix too much after adding flour.
- In another small bowl, combine 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup light brown sugar, and 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon. stir with a fork until it is well combined. The mixture will be thick.
- Spoon 3/4 of the batter into prepared pan. Crumble the cinnamon mixture over the batter.
- Run a spatula through the center of the cinnamon mixture to swirl.
- Top with remaining batter.
- Bake for 75 to 85 minutes it 350 degrees F.
- Drizzle with cream cheese frosting.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup whole milk or heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine cream cheese and butter. Slowly add sugar alternately with milk and vanilla. Add more milk if needed to get a pourable consistency. Put in a ziptop bag and snip the corner off. Drizzle over cake.
You can also find great recipes here or at Meal Plan Monday or Weekend Potluck.
Check out all my POUND CAKE recipes here!
This may be the BEST pound cake recipe yet! Thnaks!!
Such a delicious, light and fluffy pound cake! Perfect with the cream cheese frosting too!
I love the idea of making a cinnamon roll cake!
I made this cake and it was very good. All though my cake didn’t look at all like the pictures you posted with recipe, my family and my husband’s coworkers went bonkers over it. It really tastes like a cinnamon roll. My cake was very dark but didn’t taste over cooked. My oven has not been calibrated. The cake was very moist and tasted great but I like my pound cakes to be pretty. It was easy to make, as most pound cakes are and I will make it again and probably again. Other than the dark appearance, it was good. This recipe is a keeper.
Thanks for sharing and I plan to make more of your pound cakes.
Another masterpiece. I’ve made so many of your pound cakes and they are all phenomenal! This one is no exception. Outstanding. You are a pound cake extraordinaire. Thanks
You have made my day, Susan! Thank you so much!!
I inadvertently put 2 cups of room temp butter in the Homemade Sour Cream Cinnamon roll pound cake. Will the cake be alright?. It otherwise looks great. I had planned on taking it to a friend’s tomorrow. Thank you.
It’ll be real moist and may not rise as much but should be good.
I just made your cake. The kitchen smelled wonderful. I baked it for the time you stated, but found that the time was too long. The taste was super, but the outer edge was overcooked. Perhaps the next time I will check after 1 hour. I was wondering if anyone else had his experience. Will make again.
Your oven may be hotter than it’s reading too. https://www.callmepmc.com/how-to-calibrate-your-oven/
Mother of 3 says
Oh i just love cinnamon rolls and I know I’ll love this cake. Pinned.
My husband does not eat cream cheese. Boo Hoo! What would you recommend as an alternative glaze or frosting for this wonderful cake? Thanks
Annamarie Mars says
I just made this in a regular bundt cake pan and is absolutely amazing…..thanks for a great recipe.
Liz Jackson says
what about the 4oz of cream cheese.smiles.
Didn’t see any instructions for the cream cheese icing .
HI Speedy, refresh the page and it should show now, for some reason it didn’t show the lastest update. thanks!!
Cindy Worthington says
Paula, did I miss seeing a link to the cream cheese frosting recipe?
Refresh the page and it should be there, for some reason it didn’t show my last update. Thanks for alerting me to it.