Chocolate Chess Pie is a rich, fudgy Southern dessert recipe made of the most basic ingredients. Always a crowd-pleaser, this Chocolate Chess Pie has the taste and texture of a gooey brownie.
This pie has a chocolate custard filling with a silky texture and buttery crust. It’s simple to make and perfect for any occasion.
Chocolate Chess Pie
The flavor is chocolate and sweet with a buttery, flaky crust. The filling is creamy, thick, and smooth.
This recipe is incredibly simple to make. It would be a great recipe for a child to help bake.
Ingredients you need for Chess Pie
The full recipe with ingredient amounts and instructions is at the bottom of this post. You can save a tree and the recipe to your personal and private recipe box here on Call Me PMc. This way, you’ll never misplace it.
- Pie crust
- Evaporated milk
- Vanilla extract
All southern chess pie recipes start with basic baking ingredients that you probably already have on hand – eggs, milk, sugar, and vanilla extract. For this Chocolate Chess Pie, I include cocoa powder.
There is a lot of chocolate flavor packed into this buttery, flaky crust. You can make a homemade crust using my Never Fail Pie Crust or Coconut Oil Pie Crust recipes. Both pie crusts are delicious and easy to make. Or, to make things really simple, you may use a premade pie crust. (You can pop it in your cart from the link or it’s in the refrigerated section in the store.)
Other recipes you’ll enjoy
- Tasty Recipes Using Fresh Peaches
- Magnolia Bakery Chocolate Eclair Banana Pudding
- Oreo Frosted Chocolate Cupcakes
- Dark Chocolate Pistachio Berry Cups
- Easy Truffles You’ll Love
- Pumpkin Pop Tarts
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosted Brownies
Chocolate Chess Pie
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box
- 1 and ½ cups sugar
- 3 and ½ Tablespoon s cocoa
- 4 ounces evaporated milk
- 2 large eggs room temp and slightly beaten
- ½ cup butter melted (I don’t recommend using margarine)
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 pie crust refrigerated or homemade pie crust
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Form pie crust in a 9-inch pie pan.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together sugar, cocoa, eggs, butter, and vanilla until well combined. Whisk in milk. Pour into unbaked pie crust.
- Bake in 350° oven for 45 minutes until the center of the pie is set.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Serve at room temp or chilled in the refrigerator. Take it over the top with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream!
- Store any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container.