Fajita Chicken Bowl Recipe is quick and easy to make, healthy chipotle style bowls loaded with cilantro rice, fajita chicken, pico filled avocado half, street corn, and Chipotle Ranch.
Healthy ‘bowls’ were made famous in the restaurant business as a way to lower carbs. They make perfect sense as a way to cut carbs. As well, they’re perfect for when you have family leftovers. Furthermore, they’re a good meal prepping.
If I could tell every new mom one thing it would be to cook more when you’re cooking so that you’ll have leftovers and a jump-start on the next meal. Some things I always make extra like chicken, rice, beans, and corn.
- They are many, many, many recipes that you can use leftover chicken in. Chicken salad, sandwich, and wraps.
- Corn is great in soup, quesadillas, tacos, salads.
- Black bean burgers are great with extra black beans. They also go great in tacos, burritos, salads, and any Tex-Mex food.
- If you have extra plain rice, it’s great for Rice Pudding. As well, leftover rice is a great headstart for a fried rice recipe.
FAJITA CHICKEN BOWL RECIPE
This first time I made this, I literally used everything from the fridge that was leftover. We enjoy it so much that it’s become a staple for busy weeknights.
Even if you cook everything fresh, it comes together quickly, in the amount of time it takes the rice and chicken to cook.
- Chicken – I cut boneless, skinless chicken breasts into small chunks so it would cook pretty quickly. You could grill the chicken or use rotisserie chicken.
- Seasoning – You can use a pre-made fajita seasoning or make it yourself. Here’s my recipe for Homemade Fajita Seasoning. You probably have the ingredients to make it: chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, oregano, garlic, cilantro.
- Corn – You can use fresh grilled or boiled corn, canned, or frozen corn. I love the convenience of the steam-fresh corn. It takes about 4 minutes to cook in the microwave. Furthermore, you can add the corn plain instead of making Street Corn. I do it both ways and since there’s a creamy Chipotle Dressing drizzled over the ingredients there are plenty of flavors if you don’t want to make Street Corn.
- Pico – Make a quick pico with tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice. Or, pick some fresh pico up at the grocery store.
- Rice – You can make Chipotle Lime Rice (easy recipe listed below) or use plain white rice, Basmati, Jasmine, or long-grain white rice. Use whatever suits your tastes.
- Avocado – Because, like bacon, avocado makes everything better!
MORE EASY HEALTHY RECIPES, YOU NEED TO MAKE
- Ground Beef Teriyaki Bowl
- Broccoli Quinoa Casserole Recipe
- Whipped Feta with Blistered Tomatoes
- Huli Huli Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Shawarma
- Panko Crusted Baked Fried Green Tomatoes with Lulus Wow Sauce
Fajita Chicken Bowl Recipe
Want to save recipes? Create an account or login & then you can use the “Save Recipe” button when viewing a recipe to save it to your Recipe Box. You can access your saved recipes on any device and generate a shopping list for recipes in your collections.Save To Your Recipe Box Go to your saved recipes
- 3 medium Roma tomatoes
- ¼ cup onion yellow, sweet, or red
- 2 tablespoons cilantro minced, adjust to your liking
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno fresh or pickled, adjust to your liking
- 1 tablespoon lime juice freshly squeezed
- 10 ounces steam-fresh whole kernel corn
- 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon of each paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon + some for garnish cilantro chopped
Easy Cilantro Rice
- In a saucepan, add 2 cups water and 1 cup rice. Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down to simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes until tender. Turn off the heat and let it steam for 5-10 minutes. Stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Cut chicken into cubes and sprinkle with seasoning. Cook chicken, about 4 to 5 minutes turned to cook every side. Cook through or internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Set aside.
- Place all ingredients into a large bowl. Gently mix and season with salt, to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve!
- Steam corn. After steaming mix the corn with the remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- *you can make the pico and corn early and refrigerate. The corn can be served cold or hot.
- Spoon rice in the bottom of your bowl. Top with chicken, street corn, and avocado. Fill the avocado with pico. Drizzle Chipotle ranch over everything. Garnish with cilantro. Serve.