Healthy ‘bowls’ were made famous in the restaurant business as a way to lower carbs. They make perfect sense as a way to cut carbs. As well, they’re perfect for when you have family leftovers. Furthermore, they’re a good meal prepping.
If I could tell every new mom one thing it would be to cook more when you’re cooking so that you’ll have leftovers and a jump-start on the next meal. Some things I always make extra like chicken, rice, beans, and corn.
- They are many, many, many recipes that you can use leftover chicken in. Chicken salad, sandwich, and wraps.
- Corn is great in soup, quesadillas, tacos, salads.
- Black bean burgers are great with extra black beans. They also go great in tacos, burritos, salads, and any Tex-Mex food.
- If you have extra plain rice, it’s great for Rice Pudding. As well, leftover rice is a great headstart for a fried rice recipe.
FAJITA CHICKEN BOWL RECIPE
This first time I made this, I literally used everything from the fridge that was leftover. We enjoy it so much that it’s become a staple for busy weeknights.
Even if you cook everything fresh, it comes together quickly, in the amount of time it takes the rice and chicken to cook.
- Chicken – I cut boneless, skinless chicken breasts into small chunks so it would cook pretty quickly. You could grill the chicken or use rotisserie chicken.
- Seasoning – You can use a pre-made fajita seasoning or make it yourself. Here’s my recipe for Homemade Fajita Seasoning. You probably have the ingredients to make it: chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, oregano, garlic, cilantro.
- Corn – You can use fresh grilled or boiled corn, canned, or frozen corn. I love the convenience of the steam-fresh corn. It takes about 4 minutes to cook in the microwave. Furthermore, you can add the corn plain instead of making Street Corn. I do it both ways and since there’s a creamy Chipotle Dressing drizzled over the ingredients there are plenty of flavors if you don’t want to make Street Corn.
- Pico – Make a quick pico with tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice. Or, pick some fresh pico up at the grocery store.
- Rice – You can make Chipotle Lime Rice (easy recipe listed below) or use plain white rice, Basmati, Jasmine, or long-grain white rice. Use whatever suits your tastes.
- Avocado – Because, like bacon, avocado makes everything better!
MORE EASY HEALTHY RECIPES, YOU NEED TO MAKE
- Ground Beef Teriyaki Bowl
- Broccoli Quinoa Casserole Recipe
- Whipped Feta with Blistered Tomatoes
- Huli Huli Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Shawarma
- Panko Crusted Baked Fried Green Tomatoes with Lulus Wow Sauce
Fajita Chicken Bowl Recipe
- 3 medium Roma tomatoes
- ¼ cup onion yellow, sweet, or red
- 2 tablespoons cilantro minced, adjust to your liking
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno fresh or pickled, adjust to your liking
- 1 tablespoon lime juice freshly squeezed
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon + some for garnish cilantro chopped
Easy Cilantro Rice
- In a saucepan, add 2 cups water and 1 cup rice. Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down to simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes until tender. Turn off the heat and let it steam for 5-10 minutes. Stir in cilantro and lime juice.
- Cut chicken into cubes and sprinkle with seasoning. Cook chicken, about 4 to 5 minutes turned to cook every side. Cook through or internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Set aside.
- Place all ingredients into a large bowl. Gently mix and season with salt, to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve!
- Steam corn. After steaming mix the corn with the remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- *you can make the pico and corn early and refrigerate. The corn can be served cold or hot.
- Spoon rice in the bottom of your bowl. Top with chicken, street corn, and avocado. Fill the avocado with pico. Drizzle Chipotle ranch over everything. Garnish with cilantro. Serve.